Civil War era Patent-leather Picklehaube or Prussian Pickel Haube and other militia headgear.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I know that some militia units in the North and South were wearing these in the years leading up to the Civil War. But How common were Pickle Haubes. Many militia companies purchased their headgear from the New York City military outfitters and all these companies offered Prussian style helmets. These are what the well dressed militia companies had to choose from in 1857.

german 10.jpg

Last edited:
Robert Weir's of Boston offerings were similar. Love the Lancer cap. Note Bell Caps are still being offered in 1857. Not sure how practical the Pioneer Bearskin was, are not pioneers suppose to dig and this bearskin dose not look like it would be good for dinging holes while wearing. I also have to know is it Picklehaube or Pickel Haube?

German 12.jpg

Last edited:
I have others from this ea to include some Southern companies. but will end with another New York company. Note that some new forage caps and some kepis are offered. I am not sure the English style cap was intended for Canada or Us militia companies.
erman 13.jpg

Some of the main military outfitters were in New York and Boston, but Chicago and Charleston South Carolina were offering similar headgear in the late 1850s. Other places also made headgear for militia companies. Still the above advertisements show what was being sold to militia companies. This kind of thing can help when studying photographs of militia companies of both the North and South at the start of the Civil War.

I didn't know all these types were sold within the US prior to the War. Maybe they were advertised but I wonder how many "Prussian Pikel Haube" were actually worn by militia.

A couple units in the North and South were known to have worn Prussian style helmets.I would guess a few others did as well.

Back