Civil War era music on vinyl

JPChurch

First Sergeant
I'm sure there are many in the membership here that have collections of CD's of Civil War music performed by various groups that re-create the sounds of days past. We've all enjoyed live performances of such at re-enactments. Years ago, when vinyl was still the rage and competing with 8 -track (cassette was still in the developmental stage) LP's were few and far between that dealt with Civil War period music, instruments and vocalists that sang just like how the songs back then really sounded . I know the Smithsonian put out quite a bit of neat stuff on vinyl back then. Now days it's on all CD, which is OK. In fact I have the boxed "Long Road to Freedom" CD collection, with all the history behind it inclusive.
I have one vinyl LP here that I have in my stash of vintage LP's if any one's interested in hearing more about it. The title is "Songs by Stephen Foster" published by Nonesuch Records in 1972, NY. The bottom caption on the front of the LP cover is marked "recorded with historical instruments at the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, Division of Musical Instruments." It may be out on CD somewhere but you can't top the sound of an in perfect shape LP from 1972 on your turntable. I can take pictures of this LP collection and post them if y'all are interested. I bet this LP of mine hasn't been spun on my turntable more than ten times, it still sounds fantastic.

Back