Civil war era letter opener?

dylanm

Cadet
Anybody have a clue? I can't find any markings on it other than then the "U.S." on the blade. The blade is 2.5 inches long and the handle is 2 inches long.

IMG_1074.JPEG
IMG_1075.JPEG
IMG_1076.JPEG

From a southerner’s eyes, it looks like an oyster knife.
However, I’m seriously doubting Sherman took the time to have US issued oyster knives made and handed out to his troop’s while occupying Savannah during the holidays. (Sarcasm)

Were there any Union issued mess kits? It looks as though the blade may have been it down to me. There are those much more versed in such things who will hopefully see the piece and be able to id the era of production and usage.

Last edited:
Anybody have a clue? I can't find any markings on it other than then the "U.S." on the blade. The blade is 2.5 inches long and the handle is 2 inches long.

View attachment 381824View attachment 381825View attachment 381826
I believe its original life started out as something completely different than the oyster knife it appears to currently be configured. Agreeing with @Georgia on this one, as we both inhabit the Eastern Shore of Maryland, where every kitchen has a multitude of such
cutlery. Where did you pick this up, there is a seller on Ebay who is quite adept at the US markings, either etching, stamping or impressing. The blade appears to have once been a Sergeant or Musician, maybe even an M1860 field and staff. The US appears to be a much later addition as the sharpening and scouring does not appears to have thinned or even damaged the bottom part of the letters. I certainly may be wrong and it is tough to tell from photographs.

Cool knife regardless

Last edited:
Back