Discussion Civil War era field desks.

How many Civil War field desks survived the Civil War? It would seem like many officers would have kept their field desks after the war. However, field desks are fairly large and some descendants may have not wanted to keep them. Weapons are probably considered better keepsakes for descendants.

Next question: Did most officers have field desks? I am not sure most lieutenants would have needed one. In fact perhaps only more senior officers had a real need for a field desk.
Sgt. Majors probably needed desks and Adjudents. I found a roll top bread box I was going to use as a field desk. Ha! Perfect size.

I found a roll top bread box I was going to use as a field desk. Ha! Perfect size.

Nice idea. Do you have a photo of that box? Would be interesting to see it.

I obtained a couple of old biscuit crates (not quite as old as the CW, but a nice funky feel to them) that I was thinking about using as bases for field desks. There's a nice video of a woodworker converting a repro cracker box into a desk. Gave me some good ideas:

(Disclaimer: I haven't done anything about this project beyond getting some old crates and thinking about it!)

Roy B.

I obtained a couple of old biscuit crates (not quite as old as the CW, but a nice funky feel to them) that I was thinking about using as bases for field desks. There's a nice video of a woodworker converting a repro cracker box into a desk. Gave me some good ideas:

(Disclaimer: I haven't done anything about this project beyond getting some old crates and thinking about it!)

Roy B.
Its in storage now. Im not sure I would know how to upload photos from my phone anyway. My phone is my computer and TV.

Roy B.
I bought a big WWII desk I think. It's big and not easy to handle. It's mussing its drawer though. I've never used it because my plans all went to hell with back problems and Lymphoma. I hope to get up and running again but Its been a few years now since I did a school demo even. Maybe I can find someone to will all my CW **** to. I've got a storage space full even after rip offs and give aways.
Anyway, the desk is a great thing to have if any paperwork is involved. Just shut the writing lid and latch it. Pack it and stow UT for next time.

I bought a big WWII desk I think. It's big and not easy to handle. It's mussing its drawer though. I've never used it because my plans all went to hell with back problems and Lymphoma. I hope to get up and running again but Its been a few years now since I did a school demo even. Maybe I can find someone to will all my CW **** to.

Sorry to hear that health problems interfered with some great projects! Similar obstacles here... I've seen some WW2 desks for sale, and they actually seem kind of cool. Not quite right if you're looking for CW authenticity, I guess...

ARB

Sorry to hear that health problems interfered with some great projects! Similar obstacles here... I've seen some WW2 desks for sale, and they actually seem kind of cool. Not quite right if you're looking for CW authenticity, I guess...

ARB
I don't know if there is much difference when it comes to field desks. An inkwell maybe.

ARB
Thanks for your concern on my health issues. Remember, nobody here gets out of here alive. My Saviour Jesus Christ covers my terrible sinful behaviours and I'm ok with death. We all go sometime and I know where I'm going so NBD.
Cheers! Enjoy the life you have as best you can. It might not be here tomorrow.
(Que in Morning Dew, the Grateful Dead version)

Back