HF Civil War Era Fiction for Middle School Girls?

Historical-Fiction
1584991598012.png

This is one I always kept on hand for my 7th/8th graders.

I forgot...the two books (one I used in class, the other I strongly recommended) that are perfect to help kids understand the war years in our part of the world...Savage Sam is the sequel to Old Yeller--and there's a girl in both of them. Besides Travis' mother, there's Lisbeth Searcy, the girl who Travis is kind of sweet on. Savage Sam is based on the memoirs of Herman Lehmann, who was captured by the Indians and stayed with them for 9 years. Let's say Fred Gipson (who saw Lehmann shoot a steer at the Mason fairgrounds when he was a boy) was very faithful to what Herman went through, much like Larry McMurtry years later. It was actually my favorite of the two books when I was a kid, probably because the movie came out and I had read Herman's book already (2nd grade or thereabouts).

1584991813398.png
1584991750789.png

1584992297627.png
1584992320435.png

1584992730627.png

1584992825786.png

Not fiction, but...really interesting (might go along with the fiction I posted earlier):

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0618574913/kidbooks-20&tag=civilwartalkc-20

And this:

1584993033342.png

A lot of books by Ann Rinaldi. Juliet's Moon, The Last Silk Dress, My Vicksburg, In My Father's House, The Last Full Measure, A Girl in Blue, An Unlikely Friendship, and many others she is a YA author, and she writes about American History, from the Revolution until after the Civil War.

Sophie's War: The Journal of Anna Sophie Franziska Guenther is a story of the Civil War among German Unionists in the Texas Hill Country.

I loved "Old Yeller" when I was a kid! (Both the book and the movie - still gives me a catch in my throat when I think about it.) I did not know Gibson wrote "Savage Sam." I thought that sequel was just something Disney dreamed up. Always loved that movie though. I would recommend the Addy Walker books published by American Girl. Even if they're a little on the young side they're very accurate, well illustrated and exciting.

Back