Civil War Enlistment Age Limit

J

Jerry55

Those over the age of 45 were consided too old to serve in the Civil War. However many lied about their age in an effor to collect the enlistment bounty. My 3RD GreatGrandfather was 51, lied on his Missouri enlistment paper, and said he was 44, but it was noted that he already had grey hair and was entitled to a $100 bounty. His name never has appeared on any unit rolls, and the records do not reflect that a bounty was ever paid.

I suspect that many people lied about their age by stating an age of 44 in order to get the bounty.

The reserves and home guards, such as the "Alabama Boy Reserves", took people above and below the enlistment age limits.

The debacle called Griswoldsville was just such a group of too young and too old fellers. Except they were Georgians.

Class I.--Zymotic Diseases.--Chapter I.--Diarrhoea And Dysentery.
Section III.--Fatal Cases Of Diarrhoea And Dysentery, With Accounts
Of The Morbid Appearances Observed.
CASE 637.--Isaiah H. Jackson; age 72; admitted November 26, 1864. Diarrhoea. This man was taken prisoner October 26th, and soon after was attacked with diarrhoea, which at first was rather dysenteric in character. He improved under treatment after admission until December 5th, when a relapse occurred, the stools became involuntary, and he died December 10th. While in hospital he was restive, dispirited, and seemed to think every one his personal enemy. The treatment was chiefly tonic and stimulant. Autopsy twelve hours after death: [excerpt]--Acting Assistant Surgeon J. B. Young.

-----------
Medical/Surgical History--Part III, Volume I
Chapter XI.--On Certain Diseases Not Heretofore Discussed.
III.--Poisoning.
CASE 1.--Private Walter Fitzgerald, Co. H., 4th V. R. Corps; age 68; was admitted June 14, 1865, with a rheumatic affection, from which he so far recovered as to be able to evade the guard and keep himself supplied with whiskey. [excerpt] He lived until 5 P. M. of the next day. Artificial respiration was attempted. Post-mortem examination: Rigor mortis slight. [excerpt] .--Douglas Hospital, Washington, D. C.
--------------
CASE 123.--Private John Leopold, company B, 74th Pennsylvania volunteers; age 67; admitted October 12, 1863. Chronic diarrhoea. This man had been a prisoner in Richmond, Virginia, for over five months. [When released he was admitted, October 2d, to the 1st Division hospital, Annapolis, Maryland, whence he was sent north October 11th.] When received into this hospital he stated that he had been suffering from chronic diarrhoea for over three months. Pills of acetate of lead and opium wore ordered, together with milk-punch and beef-tea. October 14th, aromatic sulphuric acid and landanum were substituted for the lead and opium, and laudanum enemata were ordered. Subsequently nitrate of silver, belladonna and calemel, ipecacunha and opium, were tried without benefit. October 22d, the patient, who was now very weak, complained of slight pain in the chest. lie coughed a great deal. A cough mixture was prescribed, and a mustard plaster applied to the chest. He died October 26th. Autopsy: [excerpt]--Acting Assistant Surgeon Benjamin F. Butcher.
------------
Chap. IX.--On Diseases Attributed To Non-Miasmatic Exposures.
I.--Diseases Of The Respiratory Organs.
IX.--Pneumonia.
CASE 21.--Samuel Bingham; citizen of Georgia; rebel prisoner; age 66; admitted Feb. 26, 1864, with pulmonary emphysema. Died March 16. Post-mortem examination: A quart of serum in each pleural cavity; lower lobe of right lung collapsed and covered with lymph; bronchitis on both sides. Ossific deposits in mitral valve. Liver sixty-one ounces, fatty; spleen six Ounces and a half, soft; kidneys normal.--Hospital No. 1, Nashville, Tenn.
-------------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part II, Volume I
CASE 746.--Joseph B. Bean, citizen, Catoosa County, Georgia, (rebel- age 65; admitted from Provost Marshal January 10, 1864. Dysentery. Died, January 29th. Autopsy twenty hours after death: Body moderately emaciated. [excerpt]
-----------
IX.--Pneumonia.
CASE 5.--Private Solomon Dunn, Co. K, 2d Colored Cav.; age 60; admitted Aug. 17, 1864, with rheumatism. He recovered, but on account of his age was recommended for discharge. While waiting action on this recommendation he became affected, Jan. 12, 1865, with cough and considerable swelling of the uvula and soft palate. He failed rapidly, refused.to take medicine, and died on the 24th. Post-mortem examination: Body well developed, muscular and of healthy appearance. The lungs were much congested and infiltrated with blood; the bronchial tubes inflamed. The right ventricle of the heart contained a fibrinous clot and the left dark clots. The liver was large. The other abdominal viscera were normal.--Act. ***'t Surgeon Otto Shittier, Summit Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.
---------
CASE 566.--Private Edward Colcord, 9d Battalion Veteran Reserve Corps; age 60; admitted August 20, 1864. This man, who was one of the hospital guard, came to surgeon's call on the morning of August 6th, complaining of diarrhoea, from which he said be had suffered more or less for six months. He was evidently debilitated; his complexion sallow and pale; tongue flirted; pulse quick and small; skin hot and dry. He had thirst and anorexia; foul breath; slight nausea and eructations; flatulence; griping pains and tenesmus. [excerpt]. He was so weak that he was admitted to hospital, [excerpt]. Died, August 26th, at 7 A.M. Autopsy ten hours after death: The body was not much emaciated. [excerpt]
--------
Chapter VI.--On The Eruptive Fevers.
IV.--Erysipelas.
CASE 19.--Private Robert Vantessen, Co. E, 12th Va. Cav.; age 59; was admitted Oct. 15, 1863, on account of an injury to the chest by a fall from horseback. In December he was attacked with phlegmonous erysipelas, which first affected the head. In January, 1864, the eyelids were œdematous and the neighboring subcutaneous tissues infiltrated with serum. Treatment at this time was palliative and expectant, but, the disease extending, tincture of iron, quinine and diffusible stimulants were administered freely, with generous diet and Dover's powder at night; strong tincture of iodine was applied frequently to the affected parts. Pus was discharged copiously--as much as eight ounces daily--the inflammation at this time involving the legs, arms and chin. Colliquative diarrhœa supervened: a large bedsore on the back caused much suffering, he died March 4.--Cumberland Hospital, Md.

CaSE 36.--Private Benjamin Barnes, Co. K, 5th Md.; age 59; was admitted from Slave Pen prison Jan. 3, 1865, with pleurisy. The acute symptoms had subsided under the use of anodynes, diaphoretics and sinapisms to the chest, when a s.welling of the under lip and right cheek and a gangrenous condition of the mouth were discovered, the flesh hanging in black shreds. Nitrate of silver was applied and a mouth wash used containing chlorate of potassa and creasote. On February I erysipelas of the face set in and was treated with tincture of iron internally and locally, milk-punch and nourishing diet. He died on the 9th. Post-mortem examination: The salivary glands were enlarged. The anterior portion of the left lung was coated with pseudo-membrane and adhered to the thoracic parietes; the left pleural sac contained a considerable quantity of effused liquid; the bronchial mucous membrane was of a dark-purple color. The pericardium was full of clear yellow serum and the heart distended by a soft yellow clot. The liver was large but otherwise normal; the spleen large and pale; the kidneys granular. The stomach was pale and contained several black masses, apparently clotted blood; nothing abnormal was observed in the rest of the alimentary canal.--Act. ***'t Surgeon W. C. Minor, Third Division Hospital, A1exandria, Va.
-----------------
CASE 493.--Private Adam Scott, company G, 143d New York volunteers; age 59; admitted September 26, 1863. Chronic Diarrhoea of five months' duration. [This man appears on the hospital register of his regiment, sent to general hospital September 24th--typhoid fever.] The patient was greatly emaciated; [excerpt] Died, November 9th. Autopsy twenty hours after death: Body much emaciated; there were old pleuritic adhesions on both sides. An intussusception four inches long was found in the ileum. The whole length of the colon was contracted, its lumen being about half an inch in diameter. The liver was small.
--------------
X.--Pleurisy.
CASE 20.--Private Alexander H. Day, Co. C, 1st Me. Cav.; age 57; admitted Jan. 12, 1864. Diagnosis: Pneumonia. Died 30th. Post-mortem examination: Right lung compressed, solid, lower part congested; right pleura much thickened, a strong fibroid adhesion, apparently of long standing, separating it into two cavities containing twenty-four ounces of serum, lymph and pus.--Third Division Hospital, Alexandria, Va.
--------------
CASE 745.---Samuel K. Smith, citizen, Maury County, Tennessee, (rebel- age 57; admitted from prison hospital January 4, 1864. Rheumatism. Died, January 29th, of chronic dysentery. Autopsy twenty homes after death: Body moderately emaciated. [excerpt] The stomach was slightly inflamed. The small intestine contained four lumbricoid worms which averaged ten inches in length. In the large intestine there were numerous large ulcers.
---------------------
CASE 404.--Private Martin O'Conner, 39th company, 2d battalion Veteran Reserve Corps; age 57; admitted August 16, 1864. Chronic Diarrhoea. Died, September 15th, of convulsions. Autopsy fourteen hours after death: the vessels of the brain were much congested; a small abscess, the size of a large pea, was found near the surface of the left hemisphere about an inch from the median line; with this exception the brain appeared to be normal. [excerpt]
-----------------
Medical/Surgical History--Part III, Volume II
Chapter XII.--Wounds And Complications.
Ligations of the Arteries
249 Loetsch, H., Pt., G, 9th N. J., age 56. Dec. 14, 1862. Fracture right knee; 14th, amp thigh. Jan. 14, 17, '63. Jan. 17, 1863. In cont. Surg. C.A. Cowgill, U. S. V. Died Jan. 31, 1863; rec. haemorrhage.
----------------
CASE l27.--Private James R. Eastman, company I, 5th Wisconsin volunteers; age 56; admitted from Harrison's Landing, Virginia, August 10, 1862. Diarrhoea. Died, August 13th. Autopsy next day: Vigorous appearance, and only slight emaciation. The thoracic and abdominal viscera exhibited no perceptible lesions.--Acting Assistant Surgeon Joseph Leidy.

CASE 546.--Private Joseph Bostwick, company C, 19th United States colored troops; age 56; admitted from the field August 9, 1864. Chronic diarrhoea [This man appears on the register of the hospital for colored troops, City Point, Virginia, admitted July 15th--remittent fever--sent to general hospital August 8th.] When first seen by the reporter, September 8th, he was extremely debilitated, [excerpt] Died, October 12th. Autopsy: The whole intestinal canal was inflamed, but no ulceration was discovered. There was a small abscess in the left kidney. The other organs appeared to be normal--Acting Assistant Surgeon E. P. Lace.
-------------------------------
Both sides had men that had some age on them.

M. E. Wolf

The 37th Iowa( greybeards) were all over the enlistment age, were recuited to do guard duty ect to free up soldiers for active duty.I don't have information on the specifics but will try to get unless Johan beats me to it.

Back