Civil War Dogs

There have been previous topic threads about Dogs/Canines/Pets/Mascots in the Civil War. Should be in the archives in Advance Search.

M. E. Wolf

Could this fellow have been a Civil War soldier's companion?

Dog wearing hat and cape.jpg

I think a call went out during WW2 for "volunteer" dogs, to be returned to their owners after service....sometimes the effort was never made to get the dog back.

My sister died of Cancer 2011, about 2 years later, I noticed a fallen soldier within 30 yards of her plot, with a statue of a dog on his grave. I believe the dog died with the soldier. I have 3 dogs, they are an entity all of their own, I have heard it said, and I agree, "They are Gods emissarys on earth"

I know of several dogs at Gettysburg. "Sally" and the Irish wolfhound are mentioned in the article. A dog accompanied the 5th Alabama Battalion, and there was a dog who went forward with Steuart's brigade on Culp's Hill and fell mortally wounded in their morning charge on July 3. "Charlie" was a dog with the Troup Artillery. Then there was "Stonewall," the little mascot of the First Company Richmond Howitzers, who would bark shrilly and scampered among the guns in a fight. A pretty Yankee dog branded "Co. K" switched sides and made friends with Gen. Lane, following him back to camp where he hung around brigade headquarters. The 147th Pennsylvania had a yellow dog. I read recently of a tragic death of a dog attached to an artillery battery, who while on the move was kept safe in the sponge bucket - but he was forgotten when the battery once crossed a shallow river, and drowned.

I am, by profession, an environmetal scientist, we have 2 go for training several times per year to keep licsences and accredidations. The last course, the instruction mentioned that every rescue dog involved in 911 was dead of respiratory issues. I knew 1 tower had all asbestos removed and another did not. Being in that field, I also knew that with asbestos exposure, there is a 30-40 year "latency period" from exposure to onset of Mesolthelioma - the cancer that is always fatal and basically only caused by asbestos expsoure. Being a dog owner and lover, and dealing with asbestos daily, I always thought my dogs were safe, even those I took to work. Further reseach in fact revealed a dog can get "Mezo" in less than 8 years after exposure...sad but apparently true. (Once you get mezo, u can alsmost always find the asbestos fibers with a decent autopsy). They are minerals and dont break down...

Back