Civil war dioramas.

and you did well, thank you Kevin, i hope several members here who know something of this kind would post screenshots with the same feeling.

i tried to search 'company Shenandoah figures' on the internet but no consistent results about ... so, just for curiosity, not surely with any intent to buy :D
sure! impressive diorama, figures in high details

which would be the scale of the figures in the diorama ?

ink wash = is a type of east asian brush painting that uses black ink, as used in east asian calligraphy, in different concentrations.
:unsure: .. consider the job i've to do is with figures in 1:72 scale, i would avoid complex adding steps, anyway everything is useful to know, and eventually not just for me, so thank you to share knowledge about

sure, i'm going to open another / more focused thread about my personal experience where i'm going to show step by step all my moves and progress, at the end, it's a first time experience to read, usefull for everybody would be interest in to start, or just for curiousity. Obviously comments and suggestions by veterans are neuralgics fo me and for who will read that topic, but please, be gentle when you'll trascribe the rude comments by you son !
I had no trouble with Google . Just type in Shenandoah Miniatures .

I would go with what Waterloo said In a previous post.- good advise
I normally use Valleho paints, but it doesn't matter as long as the pigment is very fine so it doesn't hide detail, and very fine brushes; I've gone as small as 10 "0"
I brush my primer on. And I like larger figures as they normally have more detail, but I have also reached an age where I need help in seeing things up close.
The optivisor is my friend . I would have given up painting years ago without it .

Forgot to mention another little known company that produce CW figures in 1:72 scale, they are highly detailed and reasonably cheap to buy.
84231A40-BC73-476B-A67F-64C621595C42.jpeg

@Waterloo50 i knowed from that, iron brigade and USCT in 1:32 scale, very high details

'miniatures' was the right keyword, sorry @Kurt G ... ah! they're 54mm miniatures in metal !

The optivisor is my friend .
ah I missed, i thought to something similar, but i felt more mine something like this, but maybe the glasses are better, i don't know!

Last edited:
I've got an optivisor, but I usually wear the highest power reading glasses available as I find them easier and more convenient to use- cheaper too!
I’ve had mine for years and it’s a pretty useful tool but I’m thinking that the optivisor would be the better option, the problem with the magnifying glass type of holder is that you really can’t adjust the viewing range and the clips on the end of the arms often work lose just at that critical moment of painting. I think I might give the optivisor a try. I’ve seen them with an LED light pack and I reckon that would be far better.

I've got an optivisor, but I usually wear the highest power reading glasses available as I find them easier and more convenient to use- cheaper too!
Sadly I wear both at the same time , especially for 54mm.

I'm going to open another / more focused thread about my personal experience where i'm going to show step by step all my moves and progress, at the end, it's a first time experience to read, usefull for everybody would be interest in to start, or just for curiousity. Obviously comments and suggestions by veterans are neuralgics fo me and for who will read that topic, but please, be gentle when you'll trascribe the rude comments by you son !

I think this is an excellent idea!
No rude comments from my son will be tolorated!

@Waterloo50 i knowed from that, iron brigade and USCT in 1:32 scale, very high details

'miniatures' was the right keyword, sorry @Kurt G ... ah! they're 54mm miniatures in metal !

ah I missed, i thought to something similar, but i felt more mine something like this, but maybe the glasses are better, i don't know!

If you're looking to get started in painting miniatures, go on you tube and look up "Painters Guild" it's about painting figures for role playing games, but most of what they are doing would apply to historical miniatures.

Way above my pay grade!
That Ebay listing looks live a "vanity project" that had no chance of selling nor intention of being sold. It also looks like a mish-mosh of various commercial figures that have nothing to do with the subject - note for example the uses of the Confederate "battle flag" at what is supposed to represent First Manassas. Also, despite his claims to the contrary this looks little like the battle: for one thing, the actual junction was several miles south of the battlefield!

There was/is a diorama of burnside bridge at the civil war museum inn Harrisburg Pa. and if you have visited the Fredericksburg visitors center they have a good one as well.

I think there is also one of Perryville at the museum in Bardstown Ky as well.

There was/is a diorama of burnside bridge at the civil war museum inn Harrisburg Pa. and if you have visited the Fredericksburg visitors center they have a good one as well.

I think there is also one of Perryville at the museum in Bardstown Ky as well.
Here's the one at the NPS Fredericksburg Visitor Center depicting the town after the Federals left it in ruins:
DSC05807.JPG

And another from the NPS Visitor Center at Chancellorsville depicting Spotsylvania's Bloody Angle:
DSC05833.JPG

I ran across this thread today. I would hope that there is still an interest in building dioramas. I my self have recently started working on one, and I love seeing what others can do. I hope this thread will come alive again. Being a beginner I also hate to post a photo, but it may encourage others just starting. Thanks

Coffee with Meade.jpg

Rays deer-2.jpg

Rays deer-3.jpg

Rays deer-5.jpg

Back