GRAPHIC Civil War Dead

This post got pretty buried. However, as far as I know, these are all of the known images of dead soldiers from the Civil War. If you have any others that were missed when I posted this before, please share them in this post.

Gettysburg cont.

eg4hciT.jpg
Hmm...Was looking around and found a different photo of the Slaughter Pen at Gettysburg. The one I found doesn't have anyone posing in it like this one does. But Bodies look to be in same spots. Curious though, anyone have an up to date photo of where this exactly is at Gettysburg? I looked around, having probs finding picture, mainly focusing on that Large Angled Rock.

Attachments

• 00096im.jpg
    00096im.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 247
32925v.jpg

• Title: Confederate dead in front of Fort Robinette, Corinth, Mississippi
  • Date Created/Published: [photographed between 1861 and 1865, printed between 1880 and 1889]
  • Medium: 1 photographic print on card mount : albumen.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-ppmsca-32925

These photos of dead CW soldiers were the first time that the public was exposed to the real horrors of combat. If anybody has information to the contrary, to my knowledge, photos of US soldiers killed in action after the CW were not generally made public until WWII. I seem to recall that there were well publicized photos of fallen US marines after one of the Pacific island battles that shocked the public. The US War Department was very selective in distributing those images at the time.

Reactions: Sbc
These photos of dead CW soldiers were the first time that the public was exposed to the real horrors of combat. If anybody has information to the contrary, to my knowledge, photos of US soldiers killed in action after the CW were not generally made public until WWII. I seem to recall that there were well publicized photos of fallen US marines after one of the Pacific island battles that shocked the public. The US War Department was very selective in distributing those images at the time.

There was at least one stereoview of American dead during World War 1 published for the United States market in the 1930's you can find here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/90706161/ It was originally taken by a French photographer and published in France in the 1920's.

I'm sure that more photographs were published of the subject in the 1920's and 1930's, but I cannot find any at the moment.

There was at least one stereoview of American dead during World War 1 published for the United States market in the 1930's you can find here: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/90706161/ It was originally taken by a French photographer and published in France in the 1920's.

I'm sure that more photographs were published of the subject in the 1920's and 1930's, but I cannot find any at the moment.

That is a disturbing picture.

Here's the last image. I've read that this could be from Bull Run, but I don't know anything else about the photograph.

VChQ9B6.jpg

This is a staged photograph. No one in it is deceased. Taken long after Bull Run 1.0 and at a different time of year (as evidenced by the overcoats on the actor portraying a casualty)

IIRC, the first publicized photographs of American dead in WWII were US Army troops killed at Buna Gona, in New Guinea. Later on, in the battle of Tarawa, war correspondent Robert Sherrod was known to have shot footage (a lot of it in color) of the battle, which contained many controversial shots of dead Marines lying on the beach. The footage was made into the film "With the Marines at Tarawa". It was considered too graphic at first, but was approved by President Roosevelt.

Very interesting photo's I have seen a lot of these before, everytime I look at these I wonder who these men were and how many were identified. War is brutal business.

I know, I wanted to show the first two images that showed the place where he first fell. From what I understand, the first two are images of the same soldier in the third image.

Beg to differ. There is still continuing debate about which order those shots were made.

I colorized the third image for Blood and Glory. I spent hours reading the discussions on the images in research in order to do right by the image. Given I was up close to that image for hours, that body most definitely didn't spend days on that field. There is no bloat at all. The legs are ccompletely crushed flat. There's a branch under the body that's from no tree close-by. The closest tree of that variety is up on the hill, where the Sharpshooter image was first taken. It's totally plausible that the Gardner and his assistant dragged the body down hill. But not so that they would pull it up hill 70 yards as was first theorized so long ago. But...that's just my own opinion. The image I'm posting here is NOT the one I submitted to the show. It is not under their copyright. I reworked it afterwards as I was not pleased with it. I think in color you actually get a better sense of the condition of the body. Just a thought.
image.jpg

I colorized the third image for Blood and Glory. I spent hours reading the discussions on the images in research in order to do right by the image. Given I was up close to that image for hours, that body most definitely didn't spend days on that field. There is no bloat at all. The legs are ccompletely crushed flat. There's a branch under the body that's from no tree close-by. The closest tree of that variety is up on the hill, where the Sharpshooter image was first taken. It's totally plausible that the Gardner and his assistant dragged the body down hill. But not so that they would pull it up hill 70 yards as was first theorized so long ago. But...that's just my own opinion. The image I'm posting here is NOT the one I submitted to the show. It is not under their copyright. I reworked it afterwards as I was not pleased with it. I think in color you actually get a better sense of the condition of the body. Just a thought.View attachment 79256
Sorry, I may have misunderstood your first post. I totally agree with you.

Can't even imagine what public reaction was like when these images were viewed. My 20th century viewpoint handicaps me in this regard. They are disturbing today and I've seen plenty; poor folks on the Homefront must have been sickened? Anyone know of accounts or impressions recorded about these types of photos?

Back