Civil War cookbook and Medical remedies of Bettie Markell of Frederick Maryland.

Jim-Jammi

Private
Hi all!
I was browsing etsy for antiques the other day, and I saw this book described as such:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/800560...ndwritten-recipe?ref=user_profile&pro=1&frs=1

Civil War cookbook and medical remedies of Bettie Markell of Frederick Maryland. Bettie was a Union Army nurse for who died from diptheria. The handwritten book is dated February 10, 1870.

This Civil War era handwritten cookbook contains dozens of recipes, including golden pie, queen of puddings, ginger beer, Wisconsin Cakes, plum pudding, Martgnia pickles and more! Also includes handwritten and newspaper clippings of medical remedies for diphtheria. -

I want to read it so so badly, but the price is a bit steep for me 😭. I figured others would find it interesting.
If you zoom in on the photos you can read some of the recipes. Maybe I will try to make one of them (if I can make our all the ingredients and steps).
I am VERY curious as to what a Wisconsin cake is, so if anyone has any idea let me know!

il_794xN.2329299753_7nid.jpg

Jim-Jammi

Private
I hate to see something like this up for sale instead of going to a museum or archive.
Same here! Private collections probably hold so many incredible things that the public deserves to get a look at too! They should at least let someone digitally archive it. :/ Hopefully whoever eventually purchases it will consider sharing its contents.

Quiet1

Private
Ooooh that is so cool.
And pricey.
Here's my best guess at transcription (it's a good thing that lady had good handwriting):

Wisconsin Cakes
Two teacups unbolted flour and one cup white wheat-flour, two eggs and one pint cold milk,
Beat the eggs and mix the whole (milk?) together adding a little salt,
Heat the pans quite hot before pouring in the mixture, putting a small (piece?) of butter in each.
Bake (11? 15? 19?) or (20?) (min???)

(I can’t read that last scribble. We all know when stuff is cooked, right?)

To my everlasting shame, I have no idea what a Wisconsin cake is.
Kringles? yep. Stollen? yep. Cream puffs? Streusel topping? heck yeah.
But not Wisconsin cake.
Is it like a coffee cake, or like a pancake? When she says to pour the batter into pans, does she mean baking pans, or FRYING pans? That's the only kind of pan I've ever heard of heating "quite hot", and the plural of "cakes" seems to imply that they're pretty small. Putting butter in could be for greasing a cake pan or for frying - doesn't help. But it definitely says to bake them...
And there's no sugar??

I'm gonna have to make this now and find out. :D
Thanks!
This lady's book is great!
(...but I'm NOT gonna try her diphtheria cure)