NF Civil War Combat

Non-Fiction
Tony Jay was the best narrator that company had. He passed though in 2006. They also made Haunted History, and The American Revolution in 1994 best series ever.

Funny story reviving this thread.

Thanks to this I broke down and ordered a DVD copy. Ain't seen the show since I was a kid, ain't got a hankering to add History to my Amazon bill, really annoyed at the poor quality of the youtube uploads. But by God I'm watching it again.

I've forgotten just how well done this show was...

I could get my 1½ year old daughter to make a documentary and it would be better... ;-)
At least she would not be spreading myths... (like "the rifle musket was a revolutionary new weapon in 1861")

Watching it for the first time since I was a kid, I'll admit its got some things that are shall we say, "off" here and there. But I'd say its still WAY better than anything "History" has put out on the CW in ages. One major thing off that gave me chuckles was the narrator mentioning the Irish Brigade was armed with smoothbore M1842's and shows these smoothbore-armed Irishmen carrying P1853 Enfields.

A lot of the B-roll reenacting footage is standard stuff, but their main reenactors for central footage ain't run of the mill reenactors, they're hardcore stitchcounters. I was kind of surprised to see that, but then I again I know the difference now. Show makers did goof here and there though. The officer actors look a little silly, in farby not properly fitted uniforms and so on, but are still way better looking than in most documentaries, and many reenactments today. I guess this being made back before farby India made junk took over, dumbing down mainstream reenactments and shows.

Back when I was kid seeing this show, I was a student of CW and Western history and looked down on reenactors and reenacting. This show is what got me itching to do it, and seeing it now for the first time in so long, I wonder if its why I turned out such an annoying uniform and equipment critic as so many of the reenactors had it down more or less right, and this was the first I saw.

Watching it for the first time since I was a kid, I'll admit its got some things that are shall we say, "off" here and there. But I'd say its still WAY better than anything "History" has put out on the CW in ages. One major thing off that gave me chuckles was the narrator mentioning the Irish Brigade was armed with smoothbore M1842's and shows these smoothbore-armed Irishmen carrying P1853 Enfields.

A lot of the B-roll reenacting footage is standard stuff, but their main reenactors for central footage ain't run of the mill reenactors, they're hardcore stitchcounters. I was kind of surprised to see that, but then I again I know the difference now. Show makers did goof here and there though. The officer actors look a little silly, in farby not properly fitted uniforms and so on, but are still way better looking than in most documentaries, and many reenactments today. I guess this being made back before farby India made junk took over, dumbing down mainstream reenactments and shows.

Back when I was kid seeing this show, I was a student of CW and Western history and looked down on reenactors and reenacting. This show is what got me itching to do it, and seeing it now for the first time in so long, I wonder if its why I turned out such an annoying uniform and equipment critic as so many of the reenactors had it down more or less right, and this was the first I saw.
Sorry I was not clear. I meant better than what "history" make...

Back