Collection Civil War "Collectibles"

scan0005A 150.jpg

For those of us who can't quite afford nice firearm collections or other collectibles, show us your trinkets. Here is a picture of mine.

I've posted this photo before, but it includes a number of fairly early "trinkets" I accumulated pretty early in my collecting career. The best of the lot are personal items that belonged to Union Lt. Col. Joseph Holmes who commanded the 8th N .Y. Heavy Artillery (serving as infantry) at Petersburg 1864-65. They were sold in the 1960's through a Dallas, Tex. shop called Militaria, supposedly a consignment by his maiden daughters. Being only a poor college student at the time, instead of putting the whole lot on layaway like I should've done and thereby missing important pieces like his officer's sword and commissions, I instead bought them one at a time. The long red-and-white striped thing at bottom is his unwrapped polished cotton housewife or pocket sewing kit; his punkin seed whisky flask is at bottom right; his French-made binoculars are at top left; and a pair of his bone dice and a chess pawn are in the center. (Not pictured are a pair of his lt. col. of artillery shoulder straps and a large artillery officer's button.) Other items of a personal nature that are "typical" but belonged to other people include an officer's burgundy sash at right; a small memorandum book at bottom center; cavalry officer's yellow Stevens' Patent shoulder straps; straps and broken scabbard for a French-made infantry officer's sword; Union officer's eagle belt buckle; post-war G.A.R. medal; and a selection of CDV's and patriotic covers at top. All these items were picked up fairly cheaply, several at local gun shows in the 1970's and 1980's.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder what on earth the navy was doing at Fredericksburg?? 😁
They were involved in evacuating the wounded and relocating all supplies for a new depot at Port Royal as Grant moved south in 1864 after the Spotsylvania battle. The Navy had pushed through on the Rappahannock River to reach Fredericksburg for this purpose, and was successful.
Lubliner.

Back