Edged Wpns Civil War Ceremonial Sword

Good evening! New member Brandi here! My family is in possession of Col. Charles Glanz civil war ceremonial sword! It’s breathtakingly beautiful to behold! Even the case it’s kept in is original!

We were looking at it this evening and I noticed an inscription on the top part of the blade (the flat part since it’s not a double edged weapon) it says “Jron Proof” (which after googling apparently it actually says “Iron Proof”)

Does anybody know what “Iron Proof” means? Is there a backstory? Is it a makers mark or something? Any information would be great!

Thank you!!!!

(Picture not of what’s described above, it’s just really cool and wanted to share it with you guys)

0FAD9397-F302-4D3C-8E30-1A77EB5C197A.jpeg

We would love to see the rest of the sword. The "Iron Proof" tells me it a Solingen Prussia made blade and many US companies imported these blades and made the rest of these fine swords to sell as private purchase to officers or the town folks that gave them to the officer. Are there any more markings on the flat part of the blade?
1568595982252.png

1568596019256.png

Last edited:
Beautiful sword! This is from Colonel Glanz's listing on Findagrave.com:

"The regiment was mustered out of service, July 24th, 1863, and was greeted by a grand oration upon their return to Easton. Upon which occasion, Colonel Glanz was presented with a magnificent sword by Captain Howard Reeder, on behalf of the officers and members of the One Hundred and Fifty-third Regiment. "

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11682837/charles-frederick_william-glanz

Good evening! New member Brandi here! My family is in possession of Col. Charles Glanz civil war ceremonial sword! It’s breathtakingly beautiful to behold! Even the case it’s kept in is original!

We were looking at it this evening and I noticed an inscription on the top part of the blade (the flat part since it’s not a double edged weapon) it says “Jron Proof” (which after googling apparently it actually says “Iron Proof”)

Does anybody know what “Iron Proof” means? Is there a backstory? Is it a makers mark or something? Any information would be great!

Thank you!!!!

(Picture not of what’s described above, it’s just really cool and wanted to share it with you guys)

View attachment 325572
Exceptional swords and welcome from Maryland! The ornate sword would be his "dress" sword and also what is called a presentation sword. The inscription tells us that he was presented the sword by the officers, non commissioned officers and men of the 153rd PA, if I read it correctly. A very fine piece! The 153rd was a 9 months regiment, but those 9 months were very active for the 153rd. He was captured at Chancellorsville in May 1863 so the "war" sword is most likely newer than the presentation sword. He would most likely have lost his original sword upon capture and then purchased a new one upon exchange only a little over a month later. I am also making the assumption that he was presented the gorgeous sword upon formation of the 153rd PA.

Last edited:
Exceptional swords and welcome from Maryland! The ornate sword would be his "dress" sword and also what is called a presentation sword. The inscription tells us that he was presented the sword by the officers, non commissioned officers and men of the 153rd PA, if I read it correctly. A very fine piece! The 153rd was a 9 months regiment, but those 9 months were very active for the 153rd. He was captured at Chancellorsville in May 1863 so the "war" sword is most likely newer than the presentation sword. He would most likely have lost his original sword upon capture and then purchased a new one upon exchange only a little over a month later. I am also making the assumption that he was presented the gorgeous sword upon formation of the 153rd PA.

It would appear from Championhilz post above the sword was presented upon the unit's mustering out, not when it was formed. I quess that would make more sense. This was a particularly elaborate sword, even for a presentation sword.

Back