Civil War cannon?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Was at a cemetery today. How can one be sure if a cannon is from the Civil War if there is no date on it?

can can.jpg
can can 2.jpg

That is a tough one. While it resembles a Parrott of some sort. On the other hands it could be a product I. R. Farby Foundry. It seems awful small. There exists Parrots Rifles that say they are 12 Lbs. Many are 10 Lbs. Early war models have a bore of 2.9, and a muzzle swell. While in 1863 they had a bore of 3.0., and no muzzle swell. It just could be it wasn't dated, or a Confederate version. An unmarked US model.

Last edited:
I guess I could look up the dedication of the cannon in the (1911, May 29) Lansing State Journal.

Sometimes there are markings on the trunnions, but I assume you looked there?

Yes I did. The cannon does have a fair amount of paint but additional markings should be visible. The cannon was placed there in 1911 and from what I can see it has some rust under the paint however in my opinion not enough rust to erase markings.

Did they make replica cannons in 1911? Is it possible this is a post Civil War cannon? Then again post Civil War cannons should have makings as well.

My immediate response on seeing that was "reproduction", The type face looks too modern for our period, and I don't think I've ever seen a barrel marked on the banding ,still less in the manner shown.

can you get it's length and diameter of the bore?

The markings may have been added at a later date. That is not a standard type of marking, so it may have been added when the cannon was dedicated

Let me see when I am going that way. It is only 10 miles away and on a route I often go to get to shopping.

Back