Civil War Cannon Restoration

Kdc2550

Cadet
My husband received a civil war cannon that is in need of restoration. We live in Atlanta and I would be willing to drive the cannon somewhere in the southeast for restoration. Any suggestions for someone who does restoration would be greatly appreciated.
2F82FB93-1E99-4787-9EED-8EC01D8B34B7.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome From The Heart Of Dixie. Its not an American CW cannon but much later. I will try and dig out some of my post war artillery books later and try an pin down a date and country of origin. There should be some markings on it. As far as restoration goes. I restore and build CW cannons so if you decide thats what you want to do with we can talk.
https://ucvrelics.com/the-lost-cause-cannons

I agree, this cannon is steam-punk garden decor. Besides the crude longitudinal "weld" line (a total no-go for a functioning artillery tube) the breech-area controls are obviously non-functioning -- being of one contiguous casting they can't spin.

All said, a very cool steam-punk garden decor well worth "restoring." I would start with a good hi-pressure washing (16psi or so) with a home pressure washer, if you have to borrow one. Next step, if necessary, would be a high pressure steam wash that a local garage might be able to provide. Last resort would be a sand-blast, but if this is made of relatively soft "pot metal" that would erode the surface too much.

If after a good scrub the surface is still not attractive, the thing can be painted with metallic paints, slightly different shades of brass and steel for the separate parts would appear most "convincing." If the last step is to paint anyway, I would fill in and smooth the entire weld line on the tube before painting with a hard spackling or automotive "bondo."

This sounds like a fun project. You know what, forget all that I'll be over in a couple of weeks to get it started. What's yer old man prefer in a beer?

Last edited:
Welcome from the Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing Forum and North Mississippi! Be sure and visit the Forum.
Regards
David

Mind you, it's *based* on a real cannon (been trying to remember what since I last posted).

Pate's little cannon.

It's still a very neat reproduction or model cannon; welcome to the forums!

Sand blasting would remove all of the ****.
The tube almost looks like something the boys brought back from the Philippines, post 1898.

I restored a ACW cannon in my town that was going to **** from neglect. It was a Pheonix Iron Works product. It had decades of neglect but it also has some heavy coats of paints which saved a great deal of wear. I first used wire brushes and sand paper to take it down to bare metal. When that did not work I went to acid based paint removers. I got down to the original coats and had some awesome graffiti from ACW soldiers - was almost like opening a time capsule. I photographed it as best I could and then re-painted it with the best corrosion proof paint I could find. Few people even relaized the work had been done but in all honesty I think I gave the canon another 150 years of life and, hopefully, someone will take intrest in the future and take care of the cannon out of their own heart

I dont think detail matters here. And if not sand blasting, then a soda blast. That will remove rust and paint but leave details. I use it on firearms.

Back