Civil War Camp Cook Ware

J.H.....thanks so much for starting this thread. You do realize now I can just pull this stuff up when my kids need to know how soldiers ate...which is a constant question! (Especially from 7th grade boys. The girls just want to know about artillery)

A great book on the subject is;
A Taste for War by William C. Davis The Culinary History of the Blue and Gray

View attachment 5243 /ATTACH]

This is what I carry in the field. The plate doubles as a frying pan, the small tin holds things like salt and peppercorns, maybe a chunk of ginger or garlic cloves what ever I can forage from local gardens or sutlers :wink:. The corked viel holds my molasses ration. Meat I cannot boil in my boiler or fry on my plate gets stuck on my ram rod, or bayonet and roasted over the fire.

And here is a picture of it in use.

View attachment 5244
Thats a good lookin mess kit you got there Roy!!

Thank you J.H. I made the haversack out of some sturdy cotton drill it is bassed off of pictures i took of an original in the M.O.C. collection at Appomattox. The spoon is an original, the knife and fork are well used but I do not know where they came from. My "spice tin" I found at a antiuque shop I think it used to be a snuff tin or maybe a cap tin it still has some of the original jappaning on it. The cup is a civilian style from Otter creek. Not sure of the maker of the boiler a Pard gave it to me, it used to be full of rust :smile: . The plate is a nice heavy tin but dont know the maker of that either. The drum canteen is by village tinsmith. My hand towel is a piece of an old cotton shirt. My "lasses" flask is a period style but picked up for about a buck at Michales or somewhere like that. I have several poke sacks in my haversack also handsewn out of drill and muslin.
Here are some pics of the haversack I bassed mine on and a sanitary commision poke I plan on re creating.
EnameledBag_.jpg
Well heres the poke any way my pics of the haversack seem to be to large to upload. I cant seem to figure out how to compress them small enough to upload them. If any one knows what i can do to solve this Ill be happy to share them.

A great book on the subject is;
A Taste for War by William C. Davis The Culinary History of the Blue and Gray

OMG! ANOTHER book I gota order...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!:banghead:
That one slipped under the radar somehow, never even heard of it!

Kevin Dally

OMG! ANOTHER book I gota order...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG!:banghead:
That one slipped under the radar somehow, never even heard of it!

Kevin Dally

Kevin,
It is really good full of original accounts, and recipies! It also covers regulations etc. Very insightful.

J.H.....thanks so much for starting this thread. You do realize now I can just pull this stuff up when my kids need to know how soldiers ate...which is a constant question! (Especially from 7th grade boys. The girls just want to know about artillery)
Your very welcome!:thumbsup: Glad you can find some use of my ramblings.

Thank you J.H. I made the haversack out of some sturdy cotton drill it is bassed off of pictures i took of an original in the M.O.C. collection at Appomattox. The spoon is an original, the knife and fork are well used but I do not know where they came from. My "spice tin" I found at a antiuque shop I think it used to be a snuff tin or maybe a cap tin it still has some of the original jappaning on it. The cup is a civilian style from Otter creek. Not sure of the maker of the boiler a Pard gave it to me, it used to be full of rust :smile: . The plate is a nice heavy tin but dont know the maker of that either. The drum canteen is by village tinsmith. My hand towel is a piece of an old cotton shirt. My "lasses" flask is a period style but picked up for about a buck at Michales or somewhere like that. I have several poke sacks in my haversack also handsewn out of drill and muslin.
Here are some pics of the haversack I bassed mine on and a sanitary commision poke I plan on re creating.
View attachment 5245 Well heres the poke any way my pics of the haversack seem to be to large to upload. I cant seem to figure out how to compress them small enough to upload them. If any one knows what i can do to solve this Ill be happy to share them.
If you ever want to make another haversack,id buy one. Yours looks great! I really like it.

If you ever want to make another haversack,id buy one. Yours looks great! I really like it.

Ive been thinking about making some to sell, just unsure what to price em at. Thats also an original button on there, but I could leave that off i suppose if you had one of your own you wanted to use. By the way tanks for the complement :smile:

Ive been thinking about making some to sell, just unsure what to price em at. Thats also an original button on there, but I could leave that off i suppose if you had one of your own you wanted to use.
All i have is those cheep lead buttons.. Got em in a 12 pack from dixie gun works. If i dont use them i can always melt them down and make pistol balls...lol

All i have is those cheep lead buttons.. Got em in a 12 pack from dixie gun works. If i dont use them i can always melt them down and make pistol balls...lol
LOL.... well if I get one made Ill let you know I've been toying with the idea of $45.00 with an original button. What do you think?

View attachment 5245 Well heres the poke any way my pics of the haversack seem to be to large to upload. I cant seem to figure out how to compress them small enough to upload them. If any one knows what i can do to solve this Ill be happy to share them.

Roy, I use photobucket.com to post all my pics, Zuzah likes Imgur.com, both are free and pretty easy to use. You might give one or both of those a try.

Back