Civil war buckle found in a really old house

4FathersPast

Cadet
I found this old buckle in a really old house on the property my dad and I was metal detecting. I found it inside what looked like a old milk crate located in a underground cellar with a secret access point in a fireplace. The location of the dig site is the third oldest city in Louisiana....(Opelousas) and is kind of a old faithful site that has yielded several civil war items dug.
If anyone could help me with authenticating it that would be great.

FB_IMG_1550366513119.jpg

FB_IMG_1550366523353.jpg

1495058119694c577887088f785960960fd8a962c9fdc764472ba4caef7f632654b673af3bdf35a118810304b22b60...jpg

1495058272002a5a461045eb90fda2242a44850542e799ad628f607a10f7ba9ab5ae8c9c3fd09d887528c496ccc92b...jpg

Welcome to CWT from the Mid-19th Century Life Forum. We enjoy studying and reading about all aspects of life in the 1800’s whether they are before, during or after the war. Please come and pay us a visit. You never know what our next topic will reveal!!

What a great find - you must have so excited to discover the buckle - and has been said - there are many experts here that will help you. Good Luck!

Welcome to CWT from the Mid-19th Century Life Forum. We enjoy studying and reading about all aspects of life in the 1800’s whether they are before, during or after the war. Please come and pay us a visit. You never know what our next topic will reveal!!

What a great find - you must have so excited to discover the buckle - and has been said - there are many experts here that will help you. Good Luck!
Thank you for the greetings and yes I was excited to find it but not until after I was offered money for it, did I actually understand what I had found.... I'm not interested in selling it but actually plan on giving it to my dad because he is the one who started me in metal detecting. Before I give it to him though I want to try and get it authenticated.

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. Nice find and it is indeed an original as the beveled edges of the hooks is the tell tell on these.
Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo and Uniforms & Relics forums.
us plate.JPG

Should I share this on the forums you mentioned?
Not really necessary but you can post all future items you would like to share with us on the Uniform & Relics forum. Is that a Fisher F75 your hunting with?

Not really necessary but you can post all future items you would like to share with us on the Uniform & Relics forum. Is that a Fisher F75 your hunting with?

Yes-sir I will definitely do that on the next post. No-sir it is the Fisher F5. I love this detector because its very user friendly and easy to learn unlike the Garrett at pro I'm currently trying to learn.

I found this old buckle in a really old house on the property my dad and I was metal detecting. I found it inside what looked like a old milk crate located in a underground cellar with a secret access point in a fireplace. The location of the dig site is the third oldest city in Louisiana....(Opelousas) and is kind of a old faithful site that has yielded several civil war items dug.
If anyone could help me with authenticating it that would be great.

Your description of how this was discovered is intriguing! Any chance you could show us photos of all that: the milk crate, the cellar, the secret fireplace hiding place? It would be interesting to picture how this was found.

Roy B.

Your description of how this was discovered is intriguing! Any chance you could show us photos of all that: the milk crate, the cellar, the secret fireplace hiding place? It would be interesting to picture how this was found.

Roy B.
Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures of the crate, cellar or the fireplace. The only evidence I have to back up my story is my dad. I do plan on going back to the site in August and I will definitely take some pics... if the house is still standing because it was on its last leg.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures of the crate, cellar or the fireplace. The only evidence I have to back up my story is my dad. I do plan on going back to the site in August and I will definitely take some pics... if the house is still standing because it was on its last leg.
Maybe you can plan to go back sooner rather than later, especially if the house is in ill repair. I’ve seen many homes where only the chimney remains after fire or deterioration. I can imagine that you were too excited by the find to think about pics. I know I would have been. Congrats, and welcome!

Back