Civil War Battles

sshelby

Cadet
I have some family members who are very interested in Civil war history and they prompted me with a unique idea, which was to create a web site that made use of Google Maps to locate battle locations as well as provide an information resource for Civil War battles. Long story short...I created this web site and have populated it with a list of battles but the details are of each battle are very limited. I am looking for anyone who would like to assist in compiling articles and locating approximate battle locations. This is a serious request, not spam so I am not going to include the link unless it is requested. If you would like to help, please send me a private message and I'll send you a link to the web site. The website is much like Wikipedia in that it allows users to maintain the content. The main difference is that it is only Civil War related.

Saw you over on CWW. There is no problem here in posting the link. Sounds like a plan.

Ole

I gave it a try for a battle that I was interested in. I created my own map and tried to draw location of points of interest to this one battle and the lines of engagement. It would have been better if I had more options of colors and geometry.

Problem I had was that I could not open it without my password. I thought others could see it.

Will this be viewable by anyone who has the link? Or will they need a password?
What about those who edit it? Will this require another Screen Name and Password---which I usually forget within a Fortnight.

SC

Interesting!! I didn't know the Battle of Front Royal was fought off the west coast of Africa lol.

Overall looks like a good endeavor... can't wait to see how it turns out!

Nice catch!

Now you see why I need the help.:wink: I forget to answer DixieRifles question. You don't have to create an account just to use the website but if you would like to contribute a username and password is required. The good news is pretty much any username you would like to use should still be available at this point. :smile:

Any one can view the maps.

Here is the link:
http://civilwarguide.info/

I'd appreciate any help I could get in compiling information or battle locations.

I reviewed the area between Nashville and the Tennessee River in north Alabama quickly. This is a marvelous piece of work and has a tremendous amount of potential. I will be happy to contribute some other sites and info if you will 'train' and prod me from time to time. Let me know how best to proceed. If possible, I'll like to be able to communicate through my home computer?

Thanks for helping

I reviewed the area between Nashville and the Tennessee River in north Alabama quickly. This is a marvelous piece of work and has a tremendous amount of potential. I will be happy to contribute some other sites and info if you will 'train' and prod me from time to time. Let me know how best to proceed. If possible, I'll like to be able to communicate through my home computer?

To get started, go ahead and register on the website. I will then give you the ability to edit battle information. After you log in and I have given you the ability to edit you will find further instructions on the home page. You can contact me at anytime if you have questions.

For the last year I have been using a barrage of sites like Civil War Traveler, Civil War Album, the CWPT, Civil War Discography, Google, and many more to plan out the rest of my vacations for my life with Civil War Battle sites. For so long I have been saying there needs to be one site that has maps, addresses, location, information wiether there is anything to see. From signs to National Preserved land. This site has a lot of potential and I would love to contribute to it!

For the last year I have been using a barrage of sites like Civil War Traveler, Civil War Album, the CWPT, Civil War Discography, Google, and many more to plan out the rest of my vacations for my life with Civil War Battle sites. For so long I have been saying there needs to be one site that has maps, addresses, location, information wiether there is anything to see. From signs to National Preserved land. This site has a lot of potential and I would love to contribute to it!

Come on over, I'm happy to have the help!

Should we just head on over and make a log in, or do we need a special log in to be able to help? I don't know how much I can contribute, but I figure any little bit helps!

Back