Retired Moderator
Civil War Battlefields: Walking The Trails Of History
By Kurt Repanshek on March 12th, 2017
51D7ocQn5XL.jpg

Civil War Battlefields: Walking the Trails of History
Author : David T. Gilbert
Published : 2017-03-14
Amazon Price : $29.90
Tranquil as it seemed as I ambled across the rolling meadow that gained the moniker “Bloody Angle” for one of the deadliest battles of the Civil War, the images that crept into my mind were vivid.

Though only its foundation remains today, I easily imagined Willis Landram’s cabin on the edge of the forest from which he watched as 20,000 Union troops charged en masse out of the surrounding woods and across his pastureland toward thousands of waiting Confederates.

More: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/review/2017/03​/civil-war-battlefields-walking-trails-history

51D7ocQn5XL.jpg

Tranquil as it seemed as I ambled across the rolling meadow that gained the moniker “Bloody Angle” for one of the deadliest battles of the Civil War, the images that crept into my mind were vivid.

Though only its foundation remains today, I easily imagined Willis Landram’s cabin on the edge of the forest from which he watched as 20,000 Union troops charged en masse out of the surrounding woods and across his pastureland toward thousands of waiting Confederates.

More: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/review/2017/03/civil-war-battlefields-walking-trails-history
I love the walk at Spotdylvania, but my favorite is still the dual battlefield at Manassas. We have also spent a good deal of time at Chancellorsville/Wilderness. For some reason we have established a tradition of picnicking at Hazel Grove.

This book contains several images by CWT's own @mt155 . There is a companion article in the April 2017 Civil War Times by David Glbert that includes one of mt155's images in a spread on pp. 48-49.

This book contains several images by CWT's own @mt155 . There is a companion article in the April 2017 Civil War Times by David Glbert that includes one of mt155's images in a spread on pp. 48-49.
I need to go find that (Civil War Times) today.....I received my copy of the book and I must say it looks wonderful. Rizzoli Publishing and the CW Trust put together a great book.

I just received my copy in the mail yesterday. All I can say, "Wow!!!" I highly recommend this book! Great job, @mt155 ........
And the Civil War Trust!

Bill

* Port Hudson and Picacho Peak Battlefields are still on my Bucket List.

Recently received my copy and so glad I pulled the trigger on the purchase. It is a beautifully done book. The photos are amazing! As one who likes to walk/hike battlefields, I found the portions describing the trails to be right up my alley. This is a book I will pull out just to look at and daydream about on a regular basis. Highly recommended!

View attachment 130979

More: http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/review/2017/03/civil-war-battlefields-walking-trails-history
I got my copy of this beauty yesterday and I lost a night's sleep thumbing through it. It has instantly become a treasured part of my Civil War library. And, unlike most large format tomes, it fits my bookshelves.

I got my copy of this beauty yesterday and I lost a night's sleep thumbing through it. It has instantly become a treasured part of my Civil War library. And, unlike most large format tomes, it fits my bookshelves.
I was surprised how many of the hikes described in the book I have made. It brought back great memories like the day we walked (mixing the two battles) the Gordon Flank Trail, Yhe Vermont Monument Trail and the Hazel Grove-Fairview trail on the same day. We **** near melted after the first two which go through deep woods and it was very hot and humid.

Back