Collection Civil War Battlefields Commemorative Coins

Commems

Private
In 1995, the US Mint released a set of three coins to mark the 100th anniversary of the start of efforts to protect and preserve important battlefields of the US Civil War. The bill proposing the coins was introduced in Congress in May 1992 and was signed into law by President George Bush on October 5, 1992.

The program consisted of a copper-nickel clad half dollar, a silver dollar and a gold half eagle ($5.00). The coins were struck in proof and uncirculated versions and were sold by the US Mint in individual packages as well as in various two- and three-piece sets.

Surcharges collected from the sale of the coins were designated to be paid to the Civil War Battlefield Foundation (CWBF) "for the preservation of historically significant Civil War battlefields."

Following are images of each of my uncirculated coins, accompanied by the US Mint's description of its design.

1995 Civil War Battlefield Gold $5.00

1995-CWB-5D-OBV.jpg
1995-CWB-5D-REV.jpg

The obverse design of the coin features a Civil War bugler on horseback sounding out a call to the troops.

The reverse of the coin features the image of a bald eagle holding a banner that reads "Let us Protect and Preserve.

1995 Civil War Battlefield Silver $1.00

1995-CWB-1D-OBV.jpg
1995-CWB-1D-REV.jpg

The obverse design of the coin features an infantryman raising a canteen to the lips of a wounded foe.

The reverse of the coin features a quotation from Joshua Chamberlain, the college teacher from Maine who became one of the heroes of Gettysburg.

1995 Civil War Battlefield Copper-Nickel Clad 50 Half Dollar

1995-CWB-50C-OBV.jpg
1995-CWB-50C-REV.jpg

The obverse design features a Civil War drummer boy.

The reverse of the coin features a battlefield scene with a cannon.

The obverse of each of the coins was designed by noted Civil War artist/illustrator Don Troiani.

Last edited:
I know about these as my Dad bought me the whole set. I think they are the best of any of the CW coins.
Terrific gift! Congrats! They're a great set for anyone interested in the Civil War, its battlefields and the preservation of the same! I like the fact that they are not battle-specific and cover the entire battlefields gamut.

Here's a collectible for those that enjoy collecting coins and stamps - it is a stamp-coin combination cover that provided financial benefit to the Civil War Trust for battlefield preservation.

20191109_1995-CWT-PNC-FRT_CCF.jpg

20191109_1995-CWT-PNC-BCK_CCF.jpg

The market value for this type of collector portfolio is going to be based on the condition of the coin it contains. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few lower grade, cleaned and/or polished coins in these types of packages. At that point, they have minimal value for a coin collector (<$25), but remain a nice history-based collectible for someone looking for an attractive Civil War memento that includes related stamps and historical background information.

When you can, please post clear, close-up images of both sides of your Stone Mountain half dollar. I may be able to discern its condition from the images and assist further.

The market value for this type of collector portfolio is going to be based on the condition of the coin it contains. Unfortunately, I've seen quite a few lower grade, cleaned and/or polished coins in these types of packages. At that point, they have minimal value for a coin collector (<$25), but remain a nice history-based collectible for someone looking for an attractive Civil War memento that includes related stamps and historical background information.

When you can, please post clear, close-up images of both sides of your Stone Mountain half dollar. I may be able to discern its condition from the images and assist further.
Thank you for the information. I should get it next week and will post more detailed pics then.

Back