Discussion Civil War battlefield hand signals?

Can anyone suggest any resources on what signs or hand signals would have been used in the Civil War?

I've read that often a commander raised a sword or hat and suddenly brought it down to indicate "fire!" for example.

Specifically, I am writing something involving Reconstruction battles in Louisiana. Specifically, my story called for someone to give a "stand down" order via hand motions. Not exactly a retreat, more of a police action where they're calling the men off or standing them aside. I'm new to the forum, apologies if asking random questions like this is inappropriate.

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
It was not used in any structured way.
If the commander could not be heared. well, that is why he had a musician with a bugle next to him.

The reason for hand signals in later wars is so you can do thing quietly. Not a issue on a civil war battlefield.

Lubliner

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
It was not used in any structured way.
If the commander could not be heared. well, that is why he had a musician with a bugle next to him.

The reason for hand signals in later wars is so you can do thing quietly. Not a issue on a civil war battlefield.
How about camp training, is there any book or pamphlet known to portray various commands?
Lubliner.