Civil War Battle Scene

Wilber,

Excellent job as usual sir!

Equine photos are always a pleasure.

Note the chain to the single-tree (the bar that the harness attaches to) --chain is used on heavy harness as a buggy harness would have on the tip end a button hole to hook into a "T" attachment on the side of the single-tree. Single trees swivel so the shoulders of horses weren't rubbed raw. Riders/drivers wore a heavy leather shield on the right side--nearest the other horse. It is most exposed to the shaft banging into the leg with extreme force that it could break a leg, also the harness rubs low on an unprotected leg. "Red Legs" often was a term for these shin/lower leg protectors. In photo #21 and #22, the driver/rider is wearing a cavalry saber length saber/sword--and the whip which is draped over his left arm, is woven leather--the length of a 'huntsman's' hunting whip.

Picture #26,

The officer is using a double bridle. It isn't a pelham (a two ring single bit that looks similar to a double bridle). A double bridle are two separate bits - a snaffle and curb that work independent of each other. I see a a 'running' martingale (two ring leather piece joined into one leather. Ring on each rein, only works when the horse raises his/her head beyond a certain height, using the bit and rider's hand as leverage. Tells me from the droop of the snaffle that the adjustment is severe (little room for the horse to lift his head to avoid the control of the bit/snaffle). The schabraque (blanket that tapers to a point) over the saddle shows that the officer is a junior rank, as it is plain. Stirrup adjustment is a 'slide' hanger--found on western saddles these days. The rider/driver next to and bit forward, shows the length of the whip's lash--again, long like a 'whipper's-in'/'huntsman' whip. Course braid leads me to assume it is a 8 plat rawhide. The 'fall' (braided part) can be anywhere from 32-48 inches in length--not including the cracker which makes the sonic crack. Looks like many are in a "Jenifer" saddle with hooded stirrups mixed in the bunch.

Can anybody see a "7"?

What 7

1b-X3.jpg

ATuttle - this photo is fascinating, and there are many others on this site. Don't want to hijack your thread, so will start another to describe the site in general, the resources there, and how to find them. Great find!

Back