Civil War Ballooning

Corrections for historical accuracy:
2. The Rebels DID NOT make a balloon out of a silk dress. No Southern Belles were harmed nor did they donate the dresses off of their backs to make the Confederate's second balloon, The Gazelle, which was made of a patchwork of material that could have been used to make silk dresses.

Great material! Thank you.
It may be worth clarification that although a balloon was not made out of a silk dress or donated dresses, a balloon was made from dress silk... a distinction clarified in the papers of Captain Langdon Cheves of Charleston...

"Meanwhile the true story of the silk dress balloon remained, carefully
documented, in the papers of Mr. Cheves. To the materials originally
used in arriving at the correct version were added even more convincing
documents which had later come to light among the papers of the balloon's
designer?one of them nothing less than the bill of a Charleston merchant
for at least a portion of the silk used. So, in 1935, when a less credulous
historian appeared in the person of Professor J. Duane Squires to ask
assistance in presenting the truth, Mr. Cheves was prepared with the facts
which furnished the basis of the following account, published two years
later in the American Historical Review:"

I have provided a two part pdf (the manner in which it was published) for those interested enough to read.

Attachments

• Easterby 1944- Cheves Confederate Balloon pt 1.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 75
  • Easterby 1944- Cheves Confederate Balloon pt 2.pdf
    944.3 KB · Views: 30
To clearly understand the challenges Thaddeus Lowe and his fellow Aeronauts dealt with daily one only has to read p 115 of the book "Fighting for the Confederacy" by E. P. Alexander who wrote:

"I am sure that on certain occasions skilled observers could give information of priceless value. Balloons ought frequently to permit the discovery of marching columns, such as I made at Bull Run, as told in my account of that fight, & which was made from a high hill 8 miles off - a sort of poor & accidental substitute for a balloon. And the very knowledge by their movements, to roundabout roads & night marches which are often very hampering."

Here's the kick in the pants - remember, they didn't teach Ballooning 101 at West Point:
"But the observers in the balloon should be 'trained staff officers' (italics), not the ignorant class of ordinary balloonists, which I think were generally in charge of the Federal Balloons"

"Ignorant class of ordinary balloonists"?!?!?!

OK,so they weren't schooled in Strategy and Tactics at the US Military Academy at West Point like "trained staff officers" . . . however they learned quickly with over 3,000 ascents, many with "trained staff officers", including Generals, in the basket.

Alexander - Fighting for the Confederacy.jpg

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM

Wayne County Public Library
220 W Liberty St, Wooster, Ohio 44691

IMG_0959.JPG

We are honored to have retired Army Special Forces Major, Kevin Knapp from Northern Virginia, come to present Thaddeus S. C. Lowe, Chief Aeronaut, of the Army of the Potomac’s Balloon Corps! Knapp was asked by the National Balloon Society to portray Lowe. Knapp was an actual hot air balloon pilot and served as MC at the Hall of Fame Balloon Festival! He is a very active member of the Civil War Heritage Foundation! Knapp’s portrayal of Thaddeus Lowe has been featured at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum, the National Civil War Museum, by the US National Park Service Civil War Defense of Washington, and many others! He was also featured in the 2006 History Channel’s “Man, Moment, and Machine’s” segment on Civil War Ballooning called “Lincoln’s Flying Spy Machine.”

Balloons were used for surveillance and reconnaissance during the Civil War by the Union Army from 1861 through 1863 and by the Confederate Army in 1862. The North made over 3,000 ascensions with seven balloons. In this presentation you will learn about the first air to ground telegraph, the first field hydrogen generators, the first air directed artillery fire, the first air craft carrier, the first time two opposing forces had aircraft in the air at the same time, and the beginning of U.S. Military Aviation."

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 7 PM – 9 PM

Greentown United Methodist Church
3088 State St NW, Greentown, Ohio 44720

IMG_0962.JPG

Kevin Knapp is a retired Army Officer, former professional hot air balloon pilot, past Board Member of the Balloon Federation of America, and Civil War Balloon Corps enthusiast. He has owned and operated the modern “ARMY” Balloon since 1993 and shares oral and living history as Thaddeus S.

C Lowe, Chief Aeronaut, of the Army of the Potomac’s Balloon Corps. In 2006 Kevin was the co-pilot for the winning team of the America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race flying from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Citra, Florida – 1,478 miles in 60 hours and 45 minutes. Most recently, Kevin operated the Command Center for Jonathan Trappe’s attempt to cross the Atlantic flying a Cluster Balloon System and provided commentary discussing Jonathan’s flight for a segment of “Weather Caught on Camera” for The Weather Channel.

Kevin Knapp’s portrayal of Thaddeus Lowe has been featured at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum, the National Civil War Museum, by the US National Park Service Civil War Defense of Washington, Fort Ward, and Gaines Mill Battlefield, as well as the cities of Fairfax, Falls Church, Gloucester, Manassas, Yorktown, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville Virginia’s Civil War Sesquicentennial Committees. Civil War Roundtable presentations include: Southern Maryland, Kansas City, National Capitol Area, Montgomery County (MD), New York City, North Shore (Long Island), the Warwick County Historical Society, and the County of Wight Museum. Knapp was also featured in the 2006 History Channel’s “Man, Moment, and Machine’s” segment on Civil War Ballooning called “Lincoln’s Flying Spy Machine.”

Program Synopsis

Balloons were used for surveillance and reconnaissance during the Civil War by the Union Army from 1861 through 1863 and by Confederate Army in 1862. The North made over 3,000 ascensions with seven balloons and the South made less than 10 ascensions with two. Years after the war the famous Artillery Officer and observer in the Confederate’s second balloon, E.P. Alexander wrote. “I never understood why the enemy abandoned the use of military balloons … Even if the observers never saw anything, they would have been worth all they cost for the annoyance and delays they caused us in trying to keep our movement out of sight.” In this presentation you will learn about the first air to ground telegraph, the first field hydrogen generators, the first air directed artillery fire, the first air craft carrier, the first time two opposing forces had aircraft in the air at the same time, and the beginning of U.S. Military Aviation.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 7 PM – 9 PM

425 Wells Rd, Doylestown, PA 18901

Bucks County CWRT.jpeg

Program Synopsis

Balloons were used for surveillance and reconnaissance during the Civil War by the Union Army from 1861 through 1863 and by Confederate Army in 1862. The North made over 3,000 ascensions with seven balloons and the South made less than 10 ascensions with two. Years after the war the famous Artillery Officer and observer in the Confederate’s second balloon, E.P. Alexander wrote. “I never understood why the enemy abandoned the use of military balloons … Even if the observers never saw anything, they would have been worth all they cost for the annoyance and delays they caused us in trying to keep our movement out of sight.” In this presentation you will learn about the first air to ground telegraph, the first field hydrogen generators, the first air directed artillery fire, the first air craft carrier, the first time two opposing forces had aircraft in the air at the same time, and the beginning of U.S. Military Aviation.

Kevin Knapp is a retired Army Officer, former professional hot air balloon pilot, past Board Member of the Balloon Federation of America, and Civil War Balloon Corps enthusiast. He has owned and operated the modern “ARMY” Balloon since 1993 and shares oral and living history as Thaddeus S. C Lowe, Chief Aeronaut, of the Army of the Potomac’s Balloon Corps. In 2006 Kevin was the co-pilot for the winning team of the America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race flying from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Citra, Florida – 1,478 miles in 60 hours and 45 minutes. Most recently, Kevin operated the Command Center for Jonathan Trappe’s attempt to cross the Atlantic flying a Cluster Balloon System and provided commentary discussing Jonathan’s flight for a segment of “Weather Caught on Camera” for The Weather Channel.

Kevin Knapp’s portrayal of Thaddeus Lowe has been featured at the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum, the National Civil War Museum, by the US National Park Service Civil War Defense of Washington, Fort Ward, and Gaines Mill Battlefield, as well as the cities of Fairfax, Falls Church, Gloucester, Manassas, Yorktown, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville Virginia’s Civil War Sesquicentennial Committees. Civil War Roundtable presentations include: Southern Maryland, Kansas City, National Capitol Area, Montgomery County (MD), New York City, North Shore (Long Island), the Warwick County Historical Society, and the County of Wight Museum. Knapp was also featured in the 2006 History Channel’s “Man, Moment, and Machine’s” segment on Civil War Ballooning called “Lincoln’s Flying Spy Machine.”

I made two new models of Lowe’s Balloon “Intrepid”; one to help share Civil War Balloon Corps Living History on the West Coast, and the other to be exhibited by the Mount Lowe Preservation Society in San Gabriel, California

I started with a large Royal Aero Balloon and pealed the outer blue and cream striped paper off to get to the main plastic 'ball' and then painted it with several coats of 'almond' spray paint.

Next I used ink jet transfer paper to make then apply the "INTREPID" and "Eagle" decals

I then applied several coats of clear matte finish ultra cover; reassembled the net and basket and viola! INTREPID!

View attachment 301203

I received this nice shout out from Michael Patris, President of the Mount Lowe Preservation Society for my donation of TSC Lowe's Intrepid model to help share Lowe's history as Chief Aeronaut for the Balloon Corps of the Army of the Potomac.

View attachment 301207

"This model of Thaddeus Lowe's Civil War balloon Intrepid is the latest donation to the Mount Lowe Preservation Society. Retired U. S. Army Green Beret Major Kevin Knapp is the donor and long-time supporter of our efforts and also a trusted friend. Kevin is a balloonist himself, formerly piloting the Army balloon and the Mayflower balloon, as well as being a Civil War reenactor portraying Thaddeus Lowe and spreading the history of the Civil War Balloon Corps. Kevin was also the pilot who, for the descendants of Thaddeus Lowe, brought and piloted a balloon to Fairmont Park in Philadelphia to give tethered ascent rides so the family could better understand what their great-great grandfather did for the Union Army. Thanks, Kevin, for your friendship, patronage and service to our country! Salute!"

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

A GREAT find at the Nations Gun Show at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Virginia this weekend. Many thanks to Malcolm with Antique Optics for pointing me in the right direction to purchase these binoculars that are almost exactly like binoculars Thaddeus Lowe used during the Civil War. A truly rare find as Malcolm said he’s only ever seen 3 pair!! I’m smiling like a young child that received a pony for Christmas!!

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

46272280-47AF-4D04-9B4A-A15E25FE18A1.jpeg

A GREAT find at the Nations Gun Show at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, Virginia this weekend. Many thanks to Malcolm with Antique Optics for pointing me in the right direction to purchase these binoculars that are almost exactly like binoculars Thaddeus Lowe used during the Civil War. A truly rare find as Malcolm said he’s only ever seen 3 pair!! I’m smiling like a young child that received a pony for Christmas!!

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Here is a picture with my binoculars from a recent event!

56ECE19F-E497-4C9D-A8BD-CD5D812DA5E7.jpeg

Enjoy these pictures of Thaddeus Lowe's Balloon at the Lincoln Day's Civil War Battle in Pittsfield, Illinois June 1 & 2, 2019. Click on the picture below to view the album on my Civil War Balloon Corps Facebook page. Huzzah!

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut
Civil War Balloon Corps Living History

IMG_1426.JPG

Here is a link to a photo video during and after inflating the balloon . . . . click on the picture

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Title Slide Balloon Video.jpg

Here are some pretty cool pictures that include Lowe's Balloon from Saturday's Battle taken and shared by Jennifer Sorrells Gillis. Click on the picture to see . . . .

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Jen Gillis 9.jpg

It's not often I come across CW Balloon art. Found this on eBay. unsigned oil from the Netherlands entitled "Civil War Observation Balloon". As a balloonist, this painting captures the crispness and colors of a sunrise inflation / launch. Simply beautiful!!

Respectfully Submitted,

TSCLowe, Aeronaut

Netherlands Painting without frame.jpeg

Netherlands Painting with frame.jpeg

Enjoy these pictures of Thaddeus Lowe's Balloon at the Lincoln Day's Civil War Battle in Pittsfield, Illinois June 1 & 2, 2019. Click on the picture below to view the album on my Civil War Balloon Corps Facebook page. Huzzah!

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

View attachment 312091
I didn't know we can make photos act as links! How did you do that?

I didn't know we can make photos act as links! How did you do that?

Relatively easy once you get the hang of it Mike.

1. Add the picture
2. Click on the picture and a ‘tool box will pop up under it.
3. Click the ‘Add Link’ button (it looks like a squared figure 8 at an angle /)
4. Enter the web address of where you’d like to take the reader.

Hope this helps and you have fun with it!

TSCLowe, Aeronaut

Relatively easy once you get the hang of it Mike.

1. Add the picture
2. Click on the picture and a ‘tool box will pop up under it.
3. Click the ‘Add Link’ button (it looks like a squared figure 8 at an angle /)
4. Enter the web address of where you’d like to take the reader.

Hope this helps and you have fun with it!

TSCLowe, Aeronaut
Thanks. Just like adding a link to text.

Civil War Aeronautics at Hampton Roads CWRT
October 17, 2019 - 7 to 9 pm; Central Library 298 Cedar Road, Chesapeake, Virginia

Program Synopsis

Kevin Knapp is a retired Army Officer, former professional hot air balloon pilot, past Board Member of the Balloon Federation of America, and Civil War Balloon Corps enthusiast. He has owned and operated the modern “ARMY” Balloon since 1993 and shares oral and living history as Thaddeus S. C Lowe, Chief Aeronaut, of the Army of the Potomac’s Balloon Corps. In 2006 Kevin was the co-pilot for the winning team of the America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race flying from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Citra, Florida – 1,478 miles in 60 hours and 45 minutes. Most recently, Kevin operated the Command Center for Jonathan Trappe’s attempt to cross the Atlantic flying a Cluster Balloon System and provided commentary discussing Jonathan’s flight for a segment of “Weather Caught on Camera” for The Weather Channel.

70318733_2432043347039101_6478753661148200960_o.jpg

CW Aeronautics @ The Lighter Than Air Society's 67th Annual Banquet
26 October, 2019; 5 to 9 pm; Pick's at PLX, 530 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron, OH 44319

Please join us at Pick's at PLX, 530 Portage Lakes Drive, Akron, OH 44319, to hear guest speaker Kevin Knapp share Civil War history as Thaddeus Lowe, Chief Aeronaut of the Army of the Potomac Balloon Corps.

Tickets cost $35 per person. Buffet dinner includes chicken marsala OR stuffed cod. ( Vegetarian option is a vegetable kabob.) Please specify one choice when making reservations. Make checks payable to The Lighter-Than-Air Society and mail to 526 S. Main Street, Suite 406, Akron OH 44311-4403. Call 330-535-5827 to leave a message or email [email protected].

The banquet will feature a display of artifacts and a silent auction with items including a golf outing at Firestone County Club and a Goodyear blimp ride for two.

Civil War balloon corps enthusiast Knapp is a retired Army officer, former professional hot air balloon pilot, and past board member of the Balloon Federation of America. In 2006, Kevin was the co-pilot for the winning team of the America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race flying from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Citra, Florida. He was also featured in the 2006 History Channel “Man, Moment, and Machine” segment on Civil War ballooning called “Lincoln’s Flying Spy Machine.”

You don't have to be a LTAS member to attend the banquet.

LTA Society and CW Balloon.jpg

Great find on eBay!!

Treasure Chest Comic ~ Thaddeus Lowe - Father of the U.S. Air Force

Vol. 25 No. 5 November 13, 1969

Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact is published on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month during the school year, except on the 4th Thursdays of December and May, by GEO. A. Pflaum, Publisher, 38 W. Fifth St. Dayton, Ohio

Treasure Chest 1.jpg
Treasure Chest 2.jpg
Treasure Chest 3.jpg
Treasure Chest 4.jpg

Treasure Chest 5.jpg
Treasure Chest 6.jpg
Treasure Chest 7.jpg

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

Scored this Ken Dallison lithograph on eBay. Beautiful as it is, I'm disappointed that it has been cut out from the original paper (what would have been the white background) removing some of the writing on the bottom left and the artists signature 🥺. Excited to have it part of my Balloon Corps collection just the same.

Respectfully Submitted,

TSC Lowe, Aeronaut

88253758_10222589286026065_8013339321320865792_n.jpg

Back