Civil War Artillery

traveller

Corporal
Just wondering which type of cannons were the most accurate. I believe the Whitworths had the best range, but were they accurate. And when did the Confederacy aquire the first Whitworth. I would love to hear their sound.

Traveller

In my studies, I've noted that most rifled guns, 10-pdr Parrotts & Ordnance Rifles included, were very accurate when firing bolts, accurate enough that a competent gunner could hit a cannon sized target at near max range (up to almost 2,000 yards) in two to four shots.

Yes the Whitworth had the best range among field artillery, able to hit targets effectively at 2,600+ yards, and able to fire as far as 10,000 yards, although I'm not sure how effective/accurate the shot would be at that distance.

Here's a page at CWT that may contain some information you may find useful...

(Message edited by civilwartalk on October 11, 2002)

Last edited:
I don't have the reference in front of me but a gunner with a Regular US Army Arty battery was accurate to the point of being rediculous w/ a 3" Ordanance Rifle. I don't recall the unit or the battles but he was known for tragetting Color bearers that stood still for tooo long. At just over 1400 yards he targeted an individual Confederate Officer on a Horse... hit the horse. At another battle there was a Sharpshooter in a tree harrying Union Infantry to his front... he was out of the range of the Union Rifles but not of a 3" Ordanance Rifle... this gunner dropped the tree w/ sharpshooter still in it.

I'm tempted to say he was in the Western Theatre but I just don't recall, I just remember that he had been Regular Army.

Shane, if you can find that reference, please tell me what it is as I would love to read this for myself. As a Regular Army guy myself and a Civil War presenter at schools and such, this would make for a great story to tell.

Unionblue

I remember it from an Army arty buddy of mine... the reference was in a US Army pub about the history of Arty. Other than that I can't tell you much. I don't know if I kind find much more info than that...sorry. I'll pester Scott and see if he still has the publication.

Back