Civil War Archaeology Public Day Sat. 10/19 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Hosted by Maryland Archaeology 1606 Gapland Rd, Burkittsville, MD -- one of the sites of the Battle of South Mountain.

"Come meet professional archaeologists and learn about the history of the South Mountain Battlefield in Burkittsville! A variety of Civil War artifacts have been found and mapped to give a better idea of the movement of troops across the landscape. Civil War artifact experts and archaeologists will be on hand to share these discoveries. This is an active dig site so please wear comfortable walking shoes!"

For more information see: https://www.facebook.com/events/548035762686618/

Thanks again Claude, soon I'm going to make one of these great events you keep posting. Just wish I wasn't so busy.

Unfortunately, I can't make it to this event either, although it's only a few miles from home--I've already committed to performing with the Old Line Fife & Drum at the Schifferstadt Museum's Octoberfest celebration in Frederick this weekend, but I still wanted to share news of the Maryland Archeology event for others who can attend. If anyone does go to the dig site, please post some pictures!

By the way, the Facebook page for Maryland Archeology has some pictures of the site as well as some of the items they've recovered, including a pin from the 7th Ohio infantry! I figured the area had been picked clean, but it looks like there are still artifacts to be found!

Last edited:
Here's a link to the Frederick News-Post article about this event:

State funded archaeological project aims to map Civil War troop movements through Burkittsville-area historical sites

An eerie electronic whine carried over the fields around the Hamilton Willard Shafer Farm in Jefferson on Saturday afternoon as a man operating a metal detector swept over the rows of corn stalk stumps, looking for remnants of a battle that happened more than 150 years ago.

See the rest of the story at: https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_d642b797-63f6-554a-8548-b310f56a63d7.html

Here's a link to the Frederick News-Post article about this event:

State funded archaeological project aims to map Civil War troop movements through Burkittsville-area historical sites

An eerie electronic whine carried over the fields around the Hamilton Willard Shafer Farm in Jefferson on Saturday afternoon as a man operating a metal detector swept over the rows of corn stalk stumps, looking for remnants of a battle that happened more than 150 years ago.

See the rest of the story at: https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...cle_d642b797-63f6-554a-8548-b310f56a63d7.html
That’s frustrating, I’m unable to open the link because I live outside of the USA, something to do with European data protection, maybe that stupid rule will change when the UK Brexit.

Burkittsville, MD - The Blair Witch Project movie.

Yes, well that didn't do much for the area--people descended on the town expecting to see something--Lord knows what, because there's nothing related to the movie, it was just filmed somewhere in the woods thereabouts. Wasn't any Blair Witch Project souvenir shop, Blair Witch Project ghost tour, or Blair Witch Project Amusement Park waiting for them. Not even a Blair Witch in the woods, no matter how much they wanted one. A lady told the local paper she sold a young couple a rock from her garden for $1 because they just couldn't go home empty handed. My kids were in middle school and high school at the time, so of course we went to see the movie--they loved it, and I wanted my money back.

Yes, well that didn't do much for the area--people descended on the town expecting to see something--Lord knows what, because there's nothing related to the movie, it was just filmed somewhere in the woods thereabouts. Wasn't any Blair Witch Project souvenir shop, Blair Witch Project ghost tour, or Blair Witch Project Amusement Park waiting for them. Not even a Blair Witch in the woods, no matter how much they wanted one. A lady told the local paper she sold a young couple a rock from her garden for $1 because they just couldn't go home empty handed. My kids were in middle school and high school at the time, so of course we went to see the movie--they loved it, and I wanted my money back.
I think some people just want to be part of something bigger than them. Selling a young couple a rock from her garden for $1 is part of that need.

Wanting your money back. LOL. I didn't see the movie.

Back