Civil War Ancestors Descended from Revolutionary War Soldiers

Missed the thread last year- my ' like ' finger would get tired because there's some amazing reading in these pages.

Malachi Jolley's record is somewhere in files- North Carolina militia, can't remember from the top of my head whose regiment. Grandfather to Morris, my grgrgrandfather 126th OVI.

Capt. Caleb Keep, NY, 4th great, grandfather of John, 5th NY ( artillery? Can't remember without checking docs )- he's the one we kind of grew up with.
Began as Sgt. in the Revolutionary War, and marched to Cambridge at the alarm of Apr. 19, 1775. Is on list of officers in Col. Timothy Danielson's Regiment May 27, 1775 with Rank of Lt. Also rank of Lt. in Capt. Jos. Thompson's Co./Col. Daniel's Regiment, Aug 1, 1775. Had rank of Capt. in Continental Army, Col. Shepard's Regiment, for service Jan. 1, 1777 - Apr. 13, 1778. Was in the Battle at Saratoga. Appears with rank of Capt. in Capt. Caleb Keep's Co., Col. Israel Chapen's Regiment, enlisted Oct. 15, 1779, discharged Nov. 21, 1779. Received rank of Capt. of 9th Co. of 1st Regiment, Hampshire County Militia, Gideon Burt,Col.Caleb Keep was at Valley Forge. That's from someone's web site, no clue who they are in the tree.

And the Hughson ( Huson, it morphed ) great times 4 fought for the wrong George. What's weird is, the family didn't lose their property- so were around when JPK and brothers marched off to war in 1861.

My great grandfather James Wright Truax’s (2nd Wisconsin Cavalry) grandfather, John Abraham Truax, was one of the famed “Green Mountain Boys”. He fought at Fts.Bennington and George.

Three brothers -- John William Taylor, Jacob Wells Taylor and Major J. Taylor -- were Confederate soldiers serving together in the First Battalion North Carolina Heavy Artillery. The paternal grandfather of the three men was William Taylor (1757-1845), a Revolutionary War vet who fought most notably at the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge.

Jacob Wells Taylor and William Taylor, by the way, are ancestors of my wife and son.

Back