Civil A-WAR-Ds Idea

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
See what I did there. When I'm bored, strange things pop into my mind. This one occurring as I vacuumed today. I pick a battle, campaign, theater, or year and you decide individually your own nominees and winners for random awards. We can brainstorm award ideas on this thread and then weekly, I will start a new Civil A-war-ds thread to choose your own nominees and winner of each. Maybe we can even explain and/or debate why we chose our winners from the nominees.

So, let's use this thread to come up with Awards and a possible name for the awards. My idea was: The Getty. It kinda sounds like Grammy...kinda like Emmy and is the first half of Gettysburg.

Go for it. Let's have fun.

Sounds like fun!
Go ahead, I might chime in in the process...
Great idea.
As name though, the "Getty" might stress the eastern theater too much. What about "The Gunny"? Many of our friends from the military will have fond memories of their Gunnies or were a good Gunny themselves...
You see, the debating has already started... :D
I'm open to any and all ideas.

See what I did there. When I'm bored, strange things pop into my mind. This one occurring as I vacuumed today. I pick a battle, campaign, theater, or year and you decide individually your own nominees and winners for random awards. We can brainstorm award ideas on this thread and then weekly, I will start a new Civil A-war-ds thread to choose your own nominees and winner of each. Maybe we can even explain and/or debate why we chose our winners from the nominees.

So, let's use this thread to come up with Awards and a possible name for the awards. My idea was: The Getty. It kinda sounds like Grammy...kinda like Emmy and is the first half of Gettysburg.

Go for it. Let's have fun.
The award for most inflated ego should be named the Samuel P. Chase or George B. McClellan Trophy. The MVP award should be named the Billy Yank Trophy or Johnny Reb Trophy depending on the conference affiliation of the winner. I love @Waterloo50 's idea of a Sedgwick Trophy for the unwisest comment winner. How about the Roger B. Taney Trophy for the most irrelevant act/statement.

The award for most inflated ego should be named the Samuel P. Chase or George B. McClellan Trophy. The MVP award should be named the Billy Yank Trophy or Johnny Reb Trophy depending on the conference affiliation of the winner. I love @Waterloo50 's idea of a Sedgwick Trophy for the unwisest comment winner. How about the Roger B. Taney Trophy for the most irrelevant act/statement.
I love these ideas!

How about Most Obscure Mascot? Some mascots, like Sallie Ann Jarrett, are famous, but many others, like this poor dog, seem to make only one memorable, anonymous appearance in the historical record. The award could be declared up for grabs again whenever someone discovers an additional source of information about the current title-holder. I imagine there would always be room for "honorable mentions" too. (Note: I don't mean to limit this to canine mascots only; they just happen to be the ones that come to mind, for obvious reasons. :smile:)

Last edited:
Unwisest comment e.g. Lincoln, anyone feel like catching a play tonight. (sorry about that) I see humour in everything.

How about Most Obscure Mascot? Some mascots, like Sallie Ann Jarrett, are famous, but many others, like this poor dog, seem to make only one memorable, anonymous appearance in the historical record. The award could be declared up for grabs again whenever someone discovers an additional source of information about the current title-holder. I imagine there would always be room for "honorable mentions" too. (Note: I don't mean to limit this to canine mascots only; they just happen to be the ones that come to mind, for obvious reasons. :smile:)
Special interest group...typical. Kidding. I love the idea of adding mascots and animals to the mix.

Back