1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Civil A-war-ds #2: First Battle of Bull Run/Manassas

Discussion in 'U of ACW Study Center' started by JerseyBart, Jul 28, 2017.

1. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

The Battle of Bull Run/Manassas is our next category of Civil A-war-ds. The video is here as an intro or just chumming the thread. The battle, in as much detail as you'd like, is the subject of the thread and awards.

Feeling free to explain why you chose anyone or this person over that one, who are your:

Best Actor/MVP

Best Villain

6th Man/Unsung Hero

Wisest Decision

Least Wise Decision/Comment

Inflated Ego/Hot Air Award

Food Award

Mr. Irrelevant Award

Mascot/Animal Award

Wrong Direction/Oops Award

Ladies-Man Award

Civilian Award

Feel free to politely and respectfully question and debate each other on why a certain person was chosen or not chosen for a certain award. Have at it. Have fun!!!

JerseyBart
    U of ACW Host

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. amweiner

amweiner Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Best Actor/MVP - E.P. Alexander for some stellar and groundbreaking signal work during the battle. He was also a contender for the Unsung Hero category, but being a man, he's more sung than Rose ever was, who was largely unsung.

Best Villain - Wilmer McLean. Skulking around like a smarmy weasel at the first big battle and then there at the surrender as well? Coincidence? I think not.

6th Woman/Unsung Hero - Rose O'Neal Greenhow, for getting intelligence to the Confederate army.

Wisest Decision - I have to give this to the Bartow-Evans-Bee team for good teamwork and initiative, moving to where the fighting was going on. They saved the day for the Confederacy, and turned a mean double play (or so I hear).

Least Wise Decision/Comment - Putting Robert Patterson in command of anyone. Poor guy should've been playing Bingo and drinking Mai Tais, not commanding an army.

Inflated Ego/Hot Air Award - It's a tossup between Irv and Beauregard. Bory was probably more of the inflated ego while Irv had more hot air about him. Either way, this battle didn't do wonders in the "Works Well With Others" category on their report cards.

Food Award - As per my entry on Civil A-war-ds #1, the only correct answer is, was, and ever can be bacon. All other foods are meaningless.

Mr. Irrelevant Award - Theodore "And you are.......?" Runyon. Exactly - you don't know who he is, either.

Mascot/Animal Award - I don't know which animals were there!! Sorry....

Wrong Direction/Oops Award - William "Oh, Those Are Probably Our Troops" Barry. Dude....They. Were. Firing. At. You.

Ladies-Man Award - James Longstreet. No, he didn't play a huge role in the battle, but come on!! He's James Longstreet for cryin' out loud!

Civilian Award - No insult is meant by this, but remembering Judith Henry, killed during the battle. It saddens me to think that she couldn't escape the battle and died there, probably in great pain and fear.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

MVP - Joe Johnston

Best villain - Rose Greenhow

6th man/unsung hero - JEB Stuart

Wisest Decision - T. J. Jackson positioning his brigade

Least wise decision - Robert Patterson deciding he knew where the rebels were.

Food award - Several hundred picnic lunches

Mr. Irrelevant award - Winfield Scott

Mascot/animal award - Little Sorrel because I can't think of anything else.

Wrong direction/oops award - The entire Union force's retrograde maneuver.

Ladies man award - Beauregard

Civilian award - Judith Henry

DBF, Old Bay, Eleanor Rose and 3 others like this.
  5. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

As I recall, Little/Old Sorrel hadn't been taken from the Yanks just yet so wasn't present at First Bull Run.

6. Jimklag

Jimklag Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Dammit! You're right. Well then, leave that award blank.

7. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

Trying to answer these questions is making me crazy. I have to stop. Please continue to post, I will just be an observer. Fun thread though

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  8. amweiner

amweiner Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

You can do it, @War Horse!!! We believe in you!

James N. and War Horse like this.
  9. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

Lol, no I can't. At least not anytime soon. This is a question that requires immense knowledge of the battle which would require much study. I'm afraid I'd rather read than post. Thanks for the vote of confidence :smile:

Waterloo50 and amweiner like this.
  10. MaryDee

MaryDee Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

I'm not that "up" on the battle, but I'll try. Again, movie (GAG) had an effect, unfortunately, so it may have influenced me even though I try not to.

Best Actor/MVP Stonewall Jackson

Best Villain Not sure about this one

6th Man/Unsung Hero I'm gonna put Wilmer McLean here. Mostly because I didn't have time to read up more on the battle.

Wisest Decision JEB Stuart's charge

Least Wise Decision/Comment Waiting until Union 90 day enlistments were ending

Inflated Ego/Hot Air Award All those who said it would be a quick and easy battle (both sides)

Food Award all those picnic lunches (see next item)

Mr. Irrelevant Award All the civilians, congress critters, etc. who came out to see the battle with picnics (see previous item)

Animal Award All the horses, both sides

Wrong Direction/Oops Award Retreating Union soldiers.

Ladies-Man Award JEB Stuart, who else?

Civilian Award I think it will be unanimous for poor Judith Henry, who couldn't be allowed to die in peace.

DBF, James N., amweiner and 2 others like this.
  11. Old Bay

Old Bay Sergeant

Best Actor/MVP: Jackson with the honorable mention, but Johnston continually funneling troops where they needed to go really won the day.

Best Villain: Dixon Miles convalescing back at Gainesville with a stiff bottle of something in hand.

6th Man/Unsung Hero: Col. Philip St. George Cocke. Proposed the overall strategy of having troops at Manassas and Winchester with the capabilities to swing either way quickly as needed. Also organized the core of the CSA Army of the Potomac at Manassas with little help.

Wisest Decision: Shanks Evans intuition to cover the flank.

Least Wise Decision/Comment: McDowell's afternoon pause, allowing Confederates to regroup on Henry Hill.

Inflated Ego/Hot Air Award: Beauregard.

Food Award: who doesn't love hard tack?

Mr. Irrelevant Award: Ewell...all the way out there...

Mascot/Animal Award: I got nothing.

Wrong Direction/Oops Award: No uniformity in anything.

Ladies-Man Award: BG Milledge Bonham. He greatly encouraged the pretty southern belles to pass along intel.

Civilian Award: Henry family. Being caught in the middle of that must have been terrifying. Outside of Judith being mortally wounded I think it was the daughter who had hearing loss due to concussive blasts from artillery.

DBF, JerseyBart and amweiner like this.
  12. Nytram01

Nytram01 First Sergeant

(I've taken out the ones I dont think I can answer)

Best Actor/MVP: Joseph Eggleston Johnston

He played the central role in winning the battle.

It was Johnston who sent Bartow, Bee, Jackson and Hampton to the threated left flank, it was Johnston who moved the Army HQs to that flank, it was Johnston who established the rear HQ to control the battle and find reinforcement to send to the front, and it was Johnston who sent Early and Kirby Smith's brigades on the flank attack that won the battle.

Not to forget that if Johnston had not been so prompt in moving his own Army from the Shenandoah Valley then it is likely the battle would have been a Federal victory

6th Man/Unsung Hero: Nathan "Shanks" Evans

He tends to get overlooked for the more famous Jackson but his prompt re-position of his brigade to face the Federal attack slowed them down enough to give Bartow, Bee, Jackson and Hampton time enough to arrive.

Alternatively, I might have gone with Edward Porter Alexander for his early warning, but he's a bit more famous that Evans so I'm sticking to him

Wisest Decision: Jackson establishing his position

If Jackson had just thrown his brigade into battle following Bartow and Bee then it would likely have been chewed up alongside them. By choosing instead to establish a defensive line he provided a base which the Confederates could build upon and rally around to lead them to eventual victory.

Least Wise Decision/Comment: Beauregard refusing to give up his offensive plans

Beauregard spending the entire morning on Lookout Hill ignoring the battle to his left hoping the chance would come for him to launch his own offensive. It took Johnston stepping in and insisting the battle was happening on the left flank and he was going to go there for Beauregard to finally give up his own plans and react to the on-going battle. Beauregard's refusal to deal with the developing situation could potentially have doomed the Confederate Army.

Mr. Irrelevant Award: Milledge Bonham and James Longstreet

They were completely uninvolved in the main battle on the left and the only thing they did was cross the river at Blackburn's Ford then march straight back again.

JerseyBart, DBF and Old Bay like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)