"Cincinnati Germans in the Civil War: The Ninth Ohio Infantry"

The Ninth Ohio

Corporal
"Forthcoming Programs at the Cincinnati German Heritage Museum:

"Cincinnati Germans in the Civil War: The 9th Ohio Infantry Regiment" Sunday, October 21, 2 p.m., German Heritage Museum, 4764 West Fork Road, Green Township. Free Admission. Andrew Houghtaling will discuss his research for a book on a Cincinnati German regiment in the Civil War."

https://www.facebook.com/GermanHeri...856768833588/1841069805978937/?type=3&theater

GHM.jpg

https://www.gacl.org/museum.html

The 9th Ohio Infantry was a volunteer regiment raised right here in Cincinnati during the Civil War. Of over 1000 members of the regiment, nearly all were ethnic Germans; only 50 were born in the United States. They served from the beginning of the war until June 1864, engaged in major battles such as Chickamauga and Perryville as well as minor battles like Rich Mountain, Carnifex Ferry (WV), and Mill Springs, KY, where they broke the enemy line with a spectacular bayonet charge.

This presentation is a result of over 15 years of research and study, and I intend to raise awareness not just of this regiment, but of the over 150,000 German immigrants who served, and who have been more or less overlooked by the historical narrative of the Civil War. I am also currently working on a book proposal on the 9th Ohio that compiles this research and shows a much more complete picture of their history.

Bump for reminder. 2pm October 21st at the GHM in Green Township, Cincinnati, OH.

The German Heritage Museum will be open that day from 1pm to 5pm, and is a nice little museum with a lot of information and artifacts related to Cincinnati's rich German connection.

And did I say FREE admission?

Bump for reminder. 2pm October 21st at the GHM in Green Township, Cincinnati, OH.

The German Heritage Museum will be open that day from 1pm to 5pm, and is a nice little museum with a lot of information and artifacts related to Cincinnati's rich German connection.

Thanks for the heads up.

I do hope to make this. While IMO we read quite a bit about the Irish and Black contributions to the war effort, it seems like those of German background don't get much press. While my ancestors were from the South, I grew up in Cincinnati and that strong German influence.

We would love to have you! And you’re right, Cincinnati has a strong german influence that extends way beyond the umteen Oktoberfests that take place this time of year.

The German Heritage Museum, while on the small side, is a great place as well. Hope to see you there!

Back