• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Sweet Baked Goods Cider Cake

143. cider cake
(from The New England Cook Book, published by Hezekiah Howe & Co, 1836)
Polish-Hannukah-Apple-Cake.jpg

Ingredients:

3/4 lb. sugar​
1/2 lb. butter​
2 tsp. saleratus dissolved in 1/2 teacup of water​
1/2 pint of apple cider​
2 lbs. flour​
grated nutmeg​

Instructions:

Rub together three quarters of a pound of sugar, and half a pound of butter. Dissolve two tea spoonsful of saleratus in half a tea cup of water, turn it into the cake, together with half a pint of cider, stir in two pounds of flour and grated nutmeg. Bake it about half an hour. This cake should be eaten in course of two or three days after it is made, as it gets very dry very quick.​

1634318466802.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Another version of Cider Cake. This is great cake to make for Fall.

1 1/2 lb. flour
1/2 lb sugar
1/4 lb butter
1/2 pint cider
1 teaspoon baking powder
Cloves and other spices to taste.
Bake in small loaf pans. Bake until turns brown and easy to turn out from pans. Takes about 1/2 hour.
Never heard of sale rates before but see it is somewhat like yeast.a lot of butter in this one sorta like an applesauce cake.

Another recipe for Cider Cake. This one is from recipes from Conner Prairie.

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cider

Sift flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together. Cream the butter and sugar and add eggs and mix well. Add flour mixture and cider to butter mixture. Stir well. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

This cake is wonderful for Fall. Also great to serve as treat for Halloween.

This sounds interesting. I wonder how it tastes. I would think it tastes a lot like apples. I had never heard of it before, my mother made mostly berry type of treats, pies, etc. Still this does sound like it might be good.

This recipe almost sounds like a form of coffee cake. I agree with the thread above that mentions this cake would be delicious with a cup of hot coffee or hot chocolate. It looks like a very moist cake which is what I would prefer. David.

Cider Cakes were very popular in 1800s. Since Sept. is here and Fall approaching thought bring this thread back up and add another Cider Cake I found.

This recipe is from Sara Adelia Boutwell (1813-1903). She was wife of George Boutwell , a Governor of Massachusetts. This recipe is from collection at Boutwell House in Groton, Massachusetts. The house was built in 1851 and George and Sara and their family lived here.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cider
1/2 cup molasses
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup sweet milk
powered sugar

Combine flour, ginger, and baking soda in bowl.
In separate bowl mix cider, molasses, melted butter and milk.
Slowly add cider mixture to flour mixture. Mix gently.
Pour batter into buttered pan. Bake about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Back