Chronology of Events at McLemore's Cove from the Union Side

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
I've been trying to make sense of the total mess of McLemore's Cove a week or so before the Battle of Chickamauga, where Bragg had a chance to attack an isolated portion of the Union Fourteenth Corps and destroy it, but the attempt was botched because of the strange incompetence or insubordination of his division commanders. Thanks to the exhaustive detail of Thomas Lawrence Connelly's book Autumn of Glory, I have a pretty good picture of what happened on the Confederate side, but (as his work is a history of the Army of Tennessee) Connelly doesn't look at the event from the Union point of view.

This is what I can see.

On September 9, Thomas meets with Rosecrans, telling him to stop or slow the advance of the Army of the Cumberland and consolidate before moving forward. Rosecrans, getting a bit carried away with success, insists that the offensive continue and orders Thomas to move the Fourteenth Corps through Stevens Gap and Dug Gap towards Lafayette. Thomas disagrees but leaves to carry out his orders.

Sometime on the morning of the 10th, Negley halts the advance of his division when he discovers that Dug Gap is held in force. Thomas arrives and agrees with the decision of his division commander, notifying Rosecrans. Rosecrans is upset and warns Thomas that the halt is placing the other two corps (Crittenden to the north and McCook to the south) in danger. At some point in the afternoon, information is brought in (by local Unionists?) that the Confederates are in heavy force on the other side of Dug Gap.

Sometime on the 11th, Thomas orders Negley to fall back to Stevens Gap.

There just seems to be a lot that I am missing. Can anyone help me out?

I've been trying to make sense of the total mess of McLemore's Cove a week or so before the Battle of Chickamauga, where Bragg had a chance to attack an isolated portion of the Union Fourteenth Corps and destroy it, but the attempt was botched because of the strange incompetence or insubordination of his division commanders. Thanks to the exhaustive detail of Thomas Lawrence Connelly's book Autumn of Glory, I have a pretty good picture of what happened on the Confederate side, but (as his work is a history of the Army of Tennessee) Connelly doesn't look at the event from the Union point of view.

This is what I can see.

On September 9, Thomas meets with Rosecrans, telling him to stop or slow the advance of the Army of the Cumberland and consolidate before moving forward. Rosecrans, getting a bit carried away with success, insists that the offensive continue and orders Thomas to move the Fourteenth Corps through Stevens Gap and Dug Gap towards Lafayette. Thomas disagrees but leaves to carry out his orders.

Sometime on the morning of the 10th, Negley halts the advance of his division when he discovers that Dug Gap is held in force. Thomas arrives and agrees with the decision of his division commander, notifying Rosecrans. Rosecrans is upset and warns Thomas that the halt is placing the other two corps (Crittenden to the north and McCook to the south) in danger. At some point in the afternoon, information is brought in (by local Unionists?) that the Confederates are in heavy force on the other side of Dug Gap.

Sometime on the 11th, Thomas orders Negley to fall back to Stevens Gap.

There just seems to be a lot that I am missing. Can anyone help me out?

Rosecrans has made the determination that Bragg is demoralized, has high Desertion rate, and will not Fight. Thomas advises Rosecrans to consolidate his Army, that would of been in Chattanooga, Bragg had left Chattanooga, on the 8th. 21st Corps comes into Chattanooga, ordered South to persue Bragg.

20th Corps is crossing Lookout mountain 40 miles below Chattanooga. McCook is going to close the door on Bragg. Stop his retreat and make him fight. He is going to cut off Bragg down in the Rome Ga area. Braggs supply Line is the Railroad that comes up, from Atl.

Thomas and the 14h Corps is being ordered to Lafayette. Doing a probe, trying to assess the position of the AOT. When the 14th Corps comes up Johnson’s crook, the gap on the west side of Lookout Mtn., it takes a full day. Wagons will be double limbered. Soldiers will be deployed up the side of the mountain. They will work the wheels on wagons and cannon. Horses unlimbered at the top, go down. Get another vehicle, and the process continues. They cross the top of Lookout, and go down the other side at Stephens Gap. Negley is the first Division up and over. The rest of the 14th, will take time to go thru the Process. So, Negley ends up, by himself for a spell.

Negley is ordered to go alone to Dug Gap. He is going to discover there is a large force of Confederates in the area. He is around Davis’s Crossroads, in the Valley. You say you know the Confederate side. Long story short, Thomas is going to be able to get him back, to the east side of Lookout and regroup with the 14th.

McCook sends Calvary North from Alpine toward Lafayette. He is going to. Bump into Breckinridge. Another large Confederate Force. They will return to Lookout.

21st Corps is at Lee and Gordon’s Mill by this time.

So, now Rosecrans discovers he is wrong. Bragg isn’t in retreat, but trying to find a Tactical advantage to fight. So, he orders his Army’s to consolidate. Lee and Gordon’s Mill, will be the Objective.

Back