Christmas with the 42nd North Carolina December 1864, Wilmington, NC

• Thread starter Deleted member 8452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8452

In December 1864, a Federal threat developed against the defenses of Wilmington, North Carolina, one of the few remaining seaports still in Confederate hands. A combined sea and land attack against Fort Fisher, the principal defensive work at the mouth of the river, was planed. Hoke's Division including Kirkland's Brigade, was accordingly detached from Lee's command and started for Wilmington by rail on December 20 to aid in the defenses.

The men of the 42d North Carolina started in box cars on December 23. The temperature was below zero, and the troops suffered severely from the cold. They built fires in the center of each car, closing the doors to conserve heat, and incidentally also conserving the smoke. .

Wilmington was reached on the 24th, where loyal women of the town fed and cheered the cold and hungry troops. Kirkland's Brigade, variously reported to number at this time between 1300 and 2000 men, was at once hurried to Sugar Loaf, a sandy hill on the peninsula north of Fort Fisher, reaching there at 4:30 p.m., with Company "A," 42nd North Carolina, at Battery Anderson nearer the fort. Here the regiment spent Christmas Day, 1864, exposed to the fire of the Federal ships attacking the fort. Kirkland arrived in time to cause the withdrawal of the Federal landing party, and the abandonment of this initial attack on Fort Fisher. Battery Anderson, however, with its garrison, was captured, the regiment losing in the action two officers and eighty enlisted men captured, one man killed and two wounded. Portion of General Kirkland's official report, dated at Sugar Loaf, December 30, 1864, are quoted:

"I reached Wilmington about midnight of the 23rd with the 17th
and 42nd and 100 men of the 66th North Carolina Regiments, of my
brigade, in all, 1300 effectives . . .I bivouacked the remainder of
the night at Dam No. 2, and shortly after sunrise on the 24th took
up the line of march for Sugar Loaf . . .My brigade, much jaded,
arrived at 4:30 p.m. . . .Shortly after the enemy opened heavily
upon Fisher and commenced shelling the beach and woods along
their front. When the troops of my brigade came up, I made the
following despostions . . .I put the 42nd North Carolina Regiment in
positions on a prolonation of the sea front of the Sugar Loaf works
and directed Colonel Brown to intrench himself...Captain Koontz,
with Company "A," 42nd North Carolina (about eighty men), I sent
to Battery Anderson with orders to repel the enemy if they
attempted to land there...the night passed quietly".
"Early on the morning of the 25th...a furious bombardment
against Fisher...was commenced...Several hours (later)...I heard a
deafening cheer from the fleet and in a moment was a courier
dashed up and informed me the enemy had suddenly dropped their
launches opposite Anderson, pulled to the sea shore, firing shrapnel
from their boat howitzers as they came, Landed, and captured
Captain Koontz and his company. This occurred about 1:00 P.M. .
. .
There was an interval of at least a mile between the 17th
and the 42nd regiments...I considered the force on the beach at
least three brigades, and others landing all the while...Night
appeared and the enemy not advancing, I deemed it prudent to
reconnect my lines....At daylight of the 26th I had my line of battle
extending from the river to the neighborhood of Gatlin...and I felt
confident I could repulse the enemy should he come in my front...
"In conclusion, I take pleasure in stating that my command
behaved well...To Colonel John E. Brown, 42nd North Carolina
Regiment, I am greatly indebted for assistance in every particular."

On December 31 Kirland's Brigade was withdrawn from Sugar Loaf to Camp Whiting, on Town Creek, two miles from Wilmington, and some sixteen miles from Fort Fisher. General Bragg was now in general command of the forces sent to defend Fort Fisher, exclusive of the garrison itself. His total force numbered close to 7000 men, but although Federal troops made a second and this time successful attack on Fort Fisher early in January, 1865, Bragg made no effort to oppose it, remaining in close defense of Wilmington.

Those troops under Bragg would have made a big difference had they been defending Fort Fisher. I remember reading that a Southern newspaper heard that Bragg would be commanding troops in Wilmington and the last line in the article was "Good Bye Wilmington."

Back