Christmas Goodies

This year I got both volumes of "Road to Disunion" I'm on page 200 right now. I also received a Mort Kunstler calender(Jackson and Lee conferring before Chancellorsville? check. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain? check. 54th Mass.? check. N. B. Forrest? check.) Are these artists part of some sort of Soviet style social realist ministry? My brother gave me "Retreat From Gettysburg" I read a little before deciding to tackle "Road" first. Looks good. I also got the West Point Altas for Civil War Battlefields, which I quickly scanned. Looks impressive.
I definitely want to read "A Slave No More" and put a request in at my local library.

Anyone want to share what Santa brung yer?

So far:

Ira Berlin, _Slaves Without Masters: The Free Negro in the Antebellum South_
David W. Blight, _A Slave No More: Two Men Who Escaped to Freedom, Including Their Own Narratives of Emancipation_
Nat Brandt with Yanna Kroyt Brandt, _In the Shadow of the Civil War: Passmore Williamson and the Rescue of Jane Johnson_
Brian Dirck, _Lincoln the Lawyer_
Thomas G. Dyer, _Secret Yankees: The Union Circle in Confederate Atlanta_
Philip Katcher, _American Civil War Commanders (3): Union Leaders in the West_
Aaron Sheehan-Dean, _Why Confederates Fought: Family & Nation in Civil War Virginia_
Eric J. Wittenberg, _The Union Cavalry Comes of Age: Hartwood Church to Brandy Station, 1863_
Thomas A. Desjardin, _Through a Howling Wilderness: Benedict Arnold's Mission to Quebec, 1775_
Joseph J. Ellis, _American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic_
Thomas Fleming, _The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown_

Hopefully more to come. :smile:

Regards,
Cash

cash said:
So far:

Ira Berlin, _Slaves Without Masters: The Free Negro in the Antebellum South_
David W. Blight, _A Slave No More: Two Men Who Escaped to Freedom, Including Their Own Narratives of Emancipation_
Nat Brandt with Yanna Kroyt Brandt, _In the Shadow of the Civil War: Passmore Williamson and the Rescue of Jane Johnson_
Brian Dirck, _Lincoln the Lawyer_
Thomas G. Dyer, _Secret Yankees: The Union Circle in Confederate Atlanta_
Philip Katcher, _American Civil War Commanders (3): Union Leaders in the West_
Aaron Sheehan-Dean, _Why Confederates Fought: Family & Nation in Civil War Virginia_
Eric J. Wittenberg, _The Union Cavalry Comes of Age: Hartwood Church to Brandy Station, 1863_
Thomas A. Desjardin, _Through a Howling Wilderness: Benedict Arnold's Mission to Quebec, 1775_
Joseph J. Ellis, _American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic_
Thomas Fleming, _The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown_

Hopefully more to come. :smile:

Regards,
Cash

Cash must have been a very good boy this year!

-

Plenty of candy and no books. Folks are reluctant to buy me books because they don't know if I already have it. Twenty-one packed bookcases is slightly more than the average household.

However, I've sent numerous boxes to some 1/15 soldiers in Iraq. Boxes generally contained chocolate bars (Dec-Jan is OK for chocolate), Christmas candy, individual Christmas cards to each of the soldiers on our list at arfcom, q-tips, newspapers, magazines (gun), hard candy (Jolly Ranchers are popular over there), tuna, beef jerkey, canned beef (unkosher) and other goodies. It makes me think of our soldiers of the Civil War and how they look forward to receiving goodies from home.

No CW related items for Zou under the tree this year, just the afore-bragged-upon purple satin comforter. :D

Gary, I'm part of a group that knits hats/slippers/other items for the troops. Hugs from home, we call them! I love the notes of thanks that we receive in return.

Zou

Oh, I DID get a $25 B&N giftcard. I just spent it on Boone by Robert Morgan. (it's not about Pat)

That was the book I hoped to get for Christmas.

The book has great press reviews, and on Amazon all 8 reviewers gave it 5 stars.

-

I got one Civil War book from my mom. Memoirs of a soldier in the 11th Indiana. "Three Years with Wallace's Zouaves" Haven't gotten to read it yet but should be good. I also scarfed a book from my Grandmothers house (boxes and boxes of books stashed in just about every room of a very large New england colonial home!!) With some odd storied from the Civil war. Can't remember the title of that one right now. Both were pretty short but should be a good 2 weeks or so of reading to hold me over!

Back