Christian Demmin

Hello,

I found a pension record for someone named Christian Demmin, and it says he served with the 61st NY Infantry, I can find nothing else for records and am asking for some assistance. Thank you.

Austin

The unit roster for the 61st gives his names as Christian Demond, which is probably why you can't find more. New York records show he was born in Germany, occupation laborer. He went as a substitute. His residence is given as Wheatfield in Niagara County. I can't find any records for him after he mustered out.

The unit roster for the 61st gives his names as Christian Demond, which is probably why you can't find more. New York records show he was born in Germany, occupation laborer. He went as a substitute. His residence is given as Wheatfield in Niagara County. I can't find any records for him after he mustered out.
Do you know when he was mustered in and out? Thanks for the info though.

Here's his card from the muster roll abstracts

ChristianDemond.png

Interesting!
The document also says that Demond was born as Christian Demin.
Would Christian Rogge (who would be another German, judging by the name) be the guy who substituted Demmin/Demond, or would Demmin/Demond have substituted Rogge?

In all the records I've seen that involve substitutes the information is kept on the enlisting soldier, not the man who paid to not serve. Demond/Demmin/Demon served; Rugge paid.

Back