HF Choosing a Regiment: the Army of the Cumberland

Historical-Fiction

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
I had initially thought of editing the other thread I'd made, but unfortunately the time to edit it had passed, so I'm making a separate AotC thread.

To some degree, Dan Masters has already done my work for me in his blog post "The Quintessential Army of the Cumberland Regiment," in which he tries to find which regiments were present at all the army's major battles, from Shiloh to Nashville. In any case, here are six regiments I'm considering at the moment, plus a bonus:

9th Indiana
36th Indiana
19th Ohio
41st Ohio
15th Wisconsin
24th Wisconsin

Either of the Wisconsin regiments would likely work best in conjunction with me choosing the 6th Wisconsin for my AotP regiment, likewise with the 9th or 36th Indiana and the 19th Indiana.

Both of my Ohio regiments had lots of men from Cleveland, which should be helpful depending on my plan for the AotP character. I had wanted the 6th Ohio, but they didn't take part in the fighting in the Atlanta campaign, and mustered out in June 1864.

My "bonus" is the 19th United States Infantry, 1st Battalion. This will probably be my "emergency" regiment, as its officers might come from any state, at least in theory.

I am not sure what your goal is. . . to nominate a "quintessential regiment" . . A character for a fictional novel? I recently researched and published a history of the 19th Ohio. "Dixie Odyssey, The Trail and Tales of the Nineteenth Ohio Volunteer Regiment." Can I be of help? The regiment served from May 61 to Nov. '65. Pretty good service I would think.

I am not sure what your goal is. . . to nominate a "quintessential regiment" . . A character for a fictional novel? I recently researched and published a history of the 19th Ohio. "Dixie Odyssey, The Trail and Tales of the Nineteenth Ohio Volunteer Regiment." Can I be of help? The regiment served from May 61 to Nov. '65. Pretty good service I would think.
This is for a fictional novel, yes.

Revised list of regiments, using the Chickamauga OOB to organize them:

9th Indiana (Crittenden/Palmer/Hazen)
36th Indiana (Crittenden/Palmer/Grose)
13th Ohio (Crittenden/Van Cleve/Dick)
19th Ohio (Crittenden/Van Cleve/S. Beatty)
41st Ohio (Crittenden/Palmer/Hazen)
65th Ohio (Crittenden/Wood/Harker)
24th Wisconsin (McCook/Sheridan/Lytle)

I see you have the 13th Ohio Regiment on your list. They formed in the same geographical area as the 19th Ohio. Almost always when I found a news article in our local paper about the 19th's adventures I could find a story from the 13th as well. As your post above shows, we can see they often served in the same division, even under the 19th's own Sam Beatty (when Van Cleeve wasn't available).
The Beatty-Van Cleeve division had some interesting experiences at Stone River. My sources have a squad of the 19th with the "regimental colors" as the last off Snodgrass Hill at Chickamauga with a stone monument to the 19th on the hill. (National Tribune, May 15, 1893).

Good luck with the novel. i would love to read it when it comes out.

Revised list of regiments, using the Chickamauga OOB to organize them:

9th Indiana (Crittenden/Palmer/Hazen)
36th Indiana (Crittenden/Palmer/Grose)
13th Ohio (Crittenden/Van Cleve/Dick)
19th Ohio (Crittenden/Van Cleve/S. Beatty)
41st Ohio (Crittenden/Palmer/Hazen)
65th Ohio (Crittenden/Wood/Harker)
24th Wisconsin (McCook/Sheridan/Lytle)
Dan Masters referred to in the first item in this thread states that a good history of the 13th does not exist, but would be a good subject for an aspiring a author. I totally agree. As I said above there is ample news in our local paper (The Stark County Republican) from the 19th. Add in other searches on Chronicling America and through Google, etc. and official battle reports . . . the material is abundant and ready for that researcher. I could help that person get started if he/she wants to begin a four-year adventure. That time could be much shorter for anyone already with a good background in the war especially the Western Theater.

Back