Children Of Civil War Veterans Talk About The Service Of Their Father

P2002856.gif

William Henry Upham: Residence Racine WI; Enlisted and mustered on 4/23/1861 as a Private into "F" Co. WI 2nd Infantry. Wounded & captured 7/21/1861 Bull Run, VA. where the 2nd WI suffered approximately 15 killed, 128 wounded, 77 captured, and 3 missing. Promoted to Corporal and discharged on 5/5/1862 to accept Cadetship in West Point. Graduate USMA 06/18/1866.

record-image_.jpg

Lewis F. Gay.jpg

Lewis Frederick Gay: Residence Providence FL; 20 years old. Enlisted and mustered on 5/23/1861 at Lake Butler, Union County, FL as a Private into "F" Co. FL 4th Infantry. POW 1/10/1862 Cedar Key, FL. Confined 1/15/1862 Fort Delaware, DE. Exchanged 8/15/1862. Promoted to 3rd Corporal. Paroled 5/1/1865 Greensboro, NC. Born 6/7/1840 died 10/16/1931 in Union County, FL. Buried: Old Providence Church Cemetery (Son of Barnabus Chelsey & Elizabeth Ann (McNair) Gay. Married (1) Martha Elizabeth Rowe; (2) Minnie
Lee Nesmith.

download.png

Great vid @east tennessee roots !

Crazy that Mr Gay fathered a daughter at 82. Even more interesting that they both lived into their 90's. Must've had some good genes..!
I believe it happened quite often. Old veterans from both sides that had been widowed became quite attractive to younger women because of their pensions. They needed someone to care for them and the younger women would pick up their pension when they passed. Years ago my barber related to me about his grandfather being a Confederate veteran. My closest veteran relatives are my great-great-grandfathers! He explained that his widowed grandfather had married a woman 40 years younger. The old Reb had several children with his 1st wife and several more with the 2nd. My barber's dad was the youngest of the 2nd group. He was 80, she was 40 Hardtack apparently had its benefits!:dance:

I believe it happened quite often. Old veterans from both sides that had been widowed became quite attractive to younger women because of their pensions. They needed someone to care for them and the younger women would pick up their pension when they passed. Years ago my barber related to me about his grandfather being a Confederate veteran. My closest veteran relatives are my great-great-grandfathers! He explained that his widowed grandfather had married a woman 40 years younger. The old Reb had several children with his 1st wife and several more with the 2nd. My barber's dad was the youngest of the 2nd group. He was 80, she was 40 Hardtack apparently had its benefits!:dance:

There's certainly plenty of examples. I never really looked at the pension angle. Makes sense.

Like you, my closest connection is GG Grandfathers, & or, the brother of a GG Grandmother.

Back