Children of Civil War soldiers still with us

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Children of Civil War soldiers still with us
1412354667000-Berthiaume-Ed.jpg
Ed Berthiaume, Post-Crescent Media10:02 p.m. CST November 22, 2014
1TWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
If you do the math, it doesn't seem possible.

Well, OK, possible but certainly not probable.

There are still children of Civil War soldiers walking among us, soldiers who fought 150 years ago, according to a National Geographic story.

More: http://www.postcrescent.com/story/life/2014/11/22/children-civil-war-soldiers-still-us/19365817/

Mmm, I remember seeing a documentary on Civil War vets marrying 16-18yr old brides when their pensions were coming due. It's something I try not to think about in any serious detail.

Say what you like about May-December romances, they can actually be pretty cool when they result in offspring that go down in history like this.

Real Sons?
I doubt it.
My uncle was a real grandson, and he died 2 years ago at 86

I'm with you on this. We lost the last "real grandson" in 2010 at about age 91. The last "real war bride" lived until about 1945 and her children not much longer. She'd married an uncle of mine in summer 1865 at about age 16. The math is really tough on the children of that era still walking around.

"Roanoke man was the last real son of a Confederate veteran"
The Roanoke Times Dispatch newspaper reports that the last known son of a Confederate soldier has died. Calvin Crane of Roanoke, who died Sunday at age 102, was one of 21 children born to James Antony Crane. The elder Crane served with Ringgold Battery, Company B of the 13th Battalion, Virginia Light Artillery.

Back