Chicken Salad Sandwiches in 1884

If you're planning a picnic, consider taking these sandwiches along. This recipe is adapted from "Anna Maria's Housekeeper," by Mrs. S.D. Power, 1884. Our Victorian friends loved them!

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

1 pound cold cooked chicken (about 2 boneless breasts)

6 tablespoons chopped parsley

1/4 cup mayonnaise

Salt, pepper

8 slices homemade bread

Chop chicken very fine, or mince. Place chicken in bowl and mix in parsley and just enough mayonnaise to moisten mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slice bread very thin. Make sandwiches, wrap each in plastic wrap, then in paper napkin and tie with ribbon. Makes 4 sandwiches.

For more Victorian inspiration for your picnic, visit the link below in Mid-19th Century Life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love chicken salad sandwiches. I bake the chicken breasts and have added grapes or craisins & nuts per request of others but I like them like the recipe above. I also usually place the filling in croissant rolls. A crusty sourdough bread roll sounds delicious also, Diane.

Just save a portion of curry from dinner .. then heat it threw the next day and gets better in flavours second time round .. and fill a sandwich! Mmmmm it’s good !!

:rofl: Here I thought there was some great, deep secret to the Mystery of the Curry Sandwich I'd heard so much about! Wonderful, Steph, I shall try it for sure now.

I like that it is such a simple dish to make and this recipe is almost like my Nanny's! I like to add a little celery for crunch!
I am making Chicken salad sandwiches for our next church potluck in May. Surprise, surprise, the theme is picnic!

Back