Member Review Chickasaw Bayou: A Confederate Victory in the Vicksburg Campaign

Most of you may already be familiar with the Master's thesis, later turned into a book, by Major Gray M. Gildner, U. S. Army, West Point, NY 1978. I long ago downloaded the DTIC version (already paid for at taxpayer expense) and have included it as an attachment here for anyone interested...

Attachments

• Chickasaw Bayou.pdf
    6.7 MB · Views: 35
Most of you may already be familiar with the Master's thesis, later turned into a book, by Major Gray M. Gildner, U. S. Army, West Point, NY 1978. I long ago downloaded the DTIC version (already paid for at taxpayer expense) and have included it as an attachment here for anyone interested...
Thanks! I hope @huskerblitz gives us his opinion of it! Would like to get his thoughts before I read it.

Thanks! I hope @huskerblitz gives us his opinion of it! Would like to get his thoughts before I read it.
It's alright, pretty dry to read compared to the narrative writing of Bearrs or Winchel but it wasn't written for that purpose. Good account of troop positioning and maps are relatively decent. It separates Union and Confederate movements so that's a plus. There is really no personal accounts given that I recall. He keeps it pretty militaristic in nature.

Back