Chickamauga Sept. 20, 1863: As the Union Line Collapses, Two Immigrants Held Firm

Bee

Captain
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
A new article from @Pat Young brings a fresh, new perspective to the Battle of Chickamauga. As interesting and enjoyable as the previous articles Pat has authored.

upload_2017-8-22_22-19-50.png

Chickamauga was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. It came after a lightning campaign by the Union army under General William Rosecrans pushed the Confederates out of much of Eastern Tennessee and captured Chattanooga. The Battle of Chickamauga was fought as Rosecrans moved south into Georgia and was struck by the Confederate Army of Tennessee commanded by Braxton Bragg. The Union Army had acquitted itself well in the first day of heavy fighting on September 19th, but as evening fell the men in German General August Willich’s Brigade knew that the victory they hoped for might be slipping away.1

More here: https://longislandwins.com/columns/...nion-line-collapses-two-immigrants-held-firm/

Last edited:
A new article from @Pat Young brings a fresh, new perspective to the Battle of Chickamauga. As interesting and enjoyable as the previous articles Pat has authored.

View attachment 154663

Chickamauga was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. It came after a lightning campaign by the Union army under General William Rosecrans pushed the Confederates out of much of Eastern Tennessee and captured Chattanooga. The Battle of Chickamauga was fought as Rosecrans moved south into Georgia and was struck by the Confederate Army of Tennessee commanded by Braxton Bragg. The Union Army had acquitted itself well in the first day of heavy fighting on September 19th, but as evening fell the men in German General August Willich’s Brigade knew that the victory they hoped for might be slipping away.1

More here: https://longislandwins.com/columns/...nion-line-collapses-two-immigrants-held-firm/
Thanks Bee!

Very good article Ms. Young. I haven't read your work before, but I will correct that error very soon.
Here is a link to my Civil War writing. Between 2011 and 2015 I tried to write along with the 150th Anniversary of different battles. Now I am writing on a variety of topics related to the war and Reconstruction. If you are mainly interest in the military articles, skip back a few pages.

https://longislandwins.com/immigrants-civil-war/

Reactions: Bee
Thanks, Bee and thanks, Pat. I am really pretty ignorant of this battle so it's nice to have some information about it. Pat, you always find interesting stories to tell.

I highly recommend folks take a look at Pat's archive noted above. There are many topics written about that are rarely covered, here.

I highly recommend folks take a look at Pat's archive noted above. There are many topics written about that are rarely covered, here.
Thanks. I started researching the series in 2010. I approached an immigration news site that I did some work for and got them to contract for three articles per year for the four years of the Sesquicentennial. I have now written 250 articles in the series and they are some of the most popular posts on the site.

I wanted them to be on a site read by a lot of immigrants because I wanted to let them know that wherever they come from, immigrants have a history in this country. About a quarter of my readers are immigrants according to the site's estimates.

Back