Chickamauga and Lookout Mountain

The Cravens House plateau on Lookout Mountain, New York monument in background:

20171019_Cravens House.jpg

I just finished my first visit to the Chattanooga area, hiking the trails around the Chickamauga battlefield and Lookout Mountain. It is a wonderful area with an extensive network of walking trails. I also spent a day walking around the "reservations" on Missionary Ridge. A brief selection of my favorite spots:

Moccasin Bend in Tennessee River from Point Park overlook on Lookout Mountain:

20171019_Lookout to Moccasin Bend.jpg

Cliffs below Point Park on Lookout Mountain (near where photo of Grant on Lookout Mountain was taken):

20171019_Clifffs below Point Park.jpg

Monument for 111th PA regiment embedded into cliffs below Point Park on Lookout Mountain:

20171014_PA 111 monument.jpg

Lookout Mountain from Missionary Ridge:

20171016_Lookout from Missionary Ridge.jpg

Homes along Missionary Ridge, near Turchin reservation:

20171016_Homes near Turchin reservation.jpg

Bragg reservation on Missionary Ridge, Illinois monument:

20171016_Bragg reservation.jpg

Illinois Monument on Orchard Knob looking towards Missionary Ridge:

20171016_Orchard Knob.jpg

Chickamauga battlefield, North Dyer field, looking west from Confederate perspective, around Hood's wounding site:

20171015_Dyer field looking to west.jpg

Chickamauga battlefield, west edge of Dyer field looking to southeast from behind 8th Indiana battery monument, which was the right end of artillery line formed by Mendenhall on Sept. 20. Looking in the direction of the attack from Sugg's brigade.

20171018_8th IN West Dyer field.jpg

Monument to Schultz's Battery M, 1st Ohio Light, with South Carolina monument in background, North Dyer field:

20171018_North Dyer field.jpg

Ridge on Brotherton field, looking north to Brotherton cabin:

20171017_Brotherton field.jpg

National cemetery in Chattanooga, view towards Lookout Mountain:

20171016_162737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Andy Cardinal

First Sergeant
I just finished my first visit to the Chattanooga area, hiking the trails around the Chickamauga battlefield and Lookout Mountain. It is a wonderful area with an extensive network of walking trails. I also spent a day walking around the "reservations" on Missionary Ridge. A brief selection of my favorite spots:

The Cravens House plateau on Lookout Mountain, New York monument in background:

View attachment 162791

Moccasin Bend in Tennessee River from Point Park overlook on Lookout Mountain:

View attachment 162805

Cliffs below Point Park on Lookout Mountain (near where photo of Grant on Lookout Mountain was taken):

View attachment 162792

Monument for 111th PA regiment embedded into cliffs below Point Park on Lookout Mountain:

View attachment 162790

Lookout Mountain from Missionary Ridge:

View attachment 162793

Homes along Missionary Ridge, near Turchin reservation:

View attachment 162794

Bragg reservation on Missionary Ridge, Illinois monument:

View attachment 162801

Illinois Monument on Orchard Knob looking towards Missionary Ridge:

View attachment 162796

Chickamauga battlefield, North Dyer field, looking west from Confederate perspective, around Hood's wounding site:

View attachment 162799

Chickamauga battlefield, west edge of Dyer field looking to southeast from behind 8th Indiana battery monument, which was the right end of artillery line formed by Mendenhall on Sept. 20. Looking in the direction of the attack from Sugg's brigade.

View attachment 162800

Monument to Schultz's Battery M, 1st Ohio Light, with South Carolina monument in background, North Dyer field:

View attachment 162802

Ridge on Brotherton field, looking north to Brotherton cabin:

View attachment 162803

National cemetery in Chattanooga, view towards Lookout Mountain:

View attachment 162804
I hope to visit here sometime. Thanks @George Thomas

JPK Huson 1863

Colonel
Forum Host
Thank You! It's almost shocking, seeing Lookout is not, in fact perennially sepia toned. What a great job turning the old photographs into what Lookout was and is- boy, can't imagine those who live nearby ever get used to it, either.

James N.

Major
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
You certainly had better weather atop Lookout than I did when I was there! (Although it cleared up next day for Orchard Knob/Missionary Ridge.) I'm glad you went to Orchard Knob, too - many seem to be put off by the surrounding neighborhood, but I think that's an exaggerated opinion, especially when there are so many important monuments located there.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)