SOUTH CAROLINA

TO HER FAITHFUL SONS AT CHICKAMAUGA
SOUTH CAROLINA
ERECTS THIS MONUMENT TO COMMEMORATE
THE VALOR THEY PROVED, AND THE LIVES THEY GAVE
ON THIS GREAT BATTLEFIELD

uaskme

1st Lieutenant
Here is Carnes monument. Tablet tells most of the story. Carnes lived until the 1920s. Was successful in battle and in life. He and other veteran groups raised the money for his Battery Monument and was placed in 1923. He often visited the park.

Carnes attended the Naval Academy and was ranked 4th in 1861. The Battery was issued shot canisters from the Memphis Depot. The first of these canisters were 3 times heavier than the normal canisters. Carnes opened them up. Found instead of having the normal 20 or so steel balls, these had 125, 69 caliber lead balls. So, they knocked the powder bags off of them. Power was in shorter supply than steel or lead in 61. Decided to carry these odd canister shells with them. Used the foot boards on the ammo chests as a rack. Carried them to Shiloh, on to KY, thru Stones River, the Tullahoma Campaign, then to Chattanooga and evacuation, then Chickamauga. Carnes was in a Hot place and most of the battle on the 19th were turning movements in the deep woods. So, it was decided today was the day to use their odd canister shells. So they double shot the cannon.

Bragg toured this site post battle. Was impressed with Carnes stand and the carnage which resulted. Bragg was a Artillery officer for 19 years. So, he ordered Carnes to be replaced with new, better guns. Don't know if they were Confederate or donated Federal guns. But they were inscribed with Chickamauga 63.

1EF5E71E-A58A-40FB-BDC1-7CE5F0A853BA.jpeg

I wrote for BGES earlier this year

South Carolina Monument

Chickamauga Battlefield

By Norman Dasinger, Jr[​

In 1893, the General Assembly of South Carolina appointed a committee to locate the position of troops from the state that fought in the September 19-20, 1863, battle of Chickamauga, located in northwest Georgia. In 1894, a commission was established to select a suitable site for a monument to all South Carolina soldiers that participated in this battle. After the location was determined, in 1900 the legislature appropriated $10,000 for the creation of a monument and on May 27, 1901 it was dedicated. Governor Miles B McSweeney gave the keynote address. He was a former newspaper publisher from Hampton, South Carolina and he remarked that day, "It is, my countrymen, to such men as those who bared their breasts on many a battlefield to the belching fire and lead of the enemy that we come to dedicate this monument. It is a privilege which we enjoy to have such a heritage as they have left us."

The monument was originally capped with a bronze, thirteen-foot high palmetto tree, emblematic of South Carolina. The tree leaves could not withstand storms and the tree was taken down for repair in 1903. It was replaced but the leaves were still structurally weak and in 1905, the tree was removed and replaced with an obelisk.

(Front bottom left of each figure:smile: AMES FOUNDRIES/CHICOPEE, MASS. (Front (east) of base:smile: SOUTH CAROLINA/TO HER FAITHFUL SONS AT CHICKAMAUGA/SOUTH CAROLINA/ERECTS THIS MONUMENT TO COMMEMORATE/THE VALOR THEY PROVED, AND THE LIVES THEY GAVE/ON THIS GREAT BATTLEFIELD (Cornerstone on left side of base:smile: ERECTED/1901 (Back of base: list of brigades and batteries engaged, and the numbers of casualties of each).

Between the soldiers on one side of the obelisk is a circular State of South Carolina seal.

The tall monument sits upon a commanding hill in the north Dyer Field. It was General Joseph B Kershaw's men that attacked a Union position on this site and eventually passed over in route toward Union General George Thomas's defensive line on Snodgrass Hill. Perhaps the most famous soldier to have moved upon this site was Richard Kirkland, of the 2nd​ South Carolina. Sergeant Kirkland is better known as the 'Angel of Marye's Heights' for the humanitarian act of giving water to wounded Federal soldiers at the battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 13, 1862. Kirkland would die near the site of the South Carolina monument as part of Kershaw's pursuing Confederates.

Georgian183

Private
Wow!!!! Very nice images of the 65th Ohio monument. They were part of Harker's brigade (with the 125th OH) --- tasked with defending Snodgrass Hill and Horseshoe Ridge.

But those pictures of the South Carolina monument are amazing @Gettmore !!!! It's large so it's hard to take good pictures of it. If you get close enough to see the detail, you cut off the top. And if you get far enough away to get the top, you don't capture the detail. You were able to photograph it perfectly -- detail and complete. And the light is great! Thank you so much!

For those who may have an interest in the 125th Ohio, @Norman Dasinger Jr wrote a great article about the monument for Blue & Gray Education Society that was published in May 2021. You can find the article in its entirety at this link. https://blueandgrayeducation.org/pdfs/newsletters/BGES.Dispatch.05.24.21.pdf
The Georgia (of course) and South Carolina monuments were my favorite of the Confederate memorials. I do not know which state copied who, as both of them are similar, the only difference being the Georgia monument is two to three times bigger and taller and with three distinct bronze statues the sides and one large statue on top. I believe Opdykes is the most interesting Union monument, along with several located along Battle Line Road (I remember one in particular had an acorn on top and was a reddish type stone).

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG

Georgian183

Private
All the pictures I shared earlier in the thread were shots of actual programs that occurred as part of the NPS's Anniversary events. But I arrived late on Friday afternoon, before the programs started on Saturday. I was just ahead of the rain and decided to run out to the battlefield to take some pictures of my favorite brigades at Chickamauga -- Joseph B. Kershaw's brigade of South Carolinians (CS) and Charles Harker's brigade of Ohioans and Kentuckians (US).

This one is taken from the Glenn-Kelly Road. That's the North end of Dyer Field behind me and the South Carolina monument up the slope....where Kershaw's brigade attacked Snodgrass Hill.
View attachment 415089

And here's another one where you can see their approach and a better view of the monument -- still from across Dyer field though.
View attachment 415090

Heres a picture in front of the 125th Ohio's monument. The 125th Ohio was one of the regiments in Harker's brigade that defended Horseshoe Ridge, so their monument is located up there on Horseshoe Ridge. The men of the 125th Ohio supplemented the $1500 State of Ohio allocation with their own money and insisted that the design submitted by one of their own, veteran Charles H. Clark, be used. I just love the "growling tiger" Clark chose for the top of it! The regiment was nicknamed Opdyke's Tigers for their Colonel Emerson Opdyke. I believe he was still the Colonel at the time of the battle of Chickamauga but maybe @Norman Dasinger Jr or @uaskme can confirm that?View attachment 415091
And finally a panoramic view of Horseshoe Ridge. Its pretty small so maybe panoramic isn't the best word but this view will give you an idea of its size. You can see the 125th Ohio monument in the distance on the right center.
View attachment 415093
Some time over the weekend @Gettmore took some great pics of the South Carolina monument and other regiments of Harker's brigade. Hopefully he will post them in this thread.
As a child my family visited Stone Mountain one summer many years ago. A Union reenactment group portraying the 125th Ohio were doing musket demonstrations, marching, and close order drill there. I remember being awestruck, as it was one of the first times I had seen any Civil War reenactors. I did research the unit briefly and always remembered associating them with a tiger, but could not remember why until my wife and I came upon their monument on Snodgrass Hill.

Last edited: