Check out this 1/4 plate Ambro.

General Butler

First Sergeant
So much to see here. Wonderful badge, huge homemade badge. Pretty big puffy hat. Shell jacket without piping from some unit? Maybe not the brightest bulb in the lamp. I do like this one...no ID

20200325_150424.jpg

Great photo even with those ears. He is wearing a pro union cockade.

Great photo even with those ears. He is wearing a pro union cockade.
Ya I like it, my dad had some good pix and they arent photos that have bounced around the industry a lot
Since.you are a pro...why would he wear a musician shell jacket with the stripes taken off?

What makes you think he's a musician

The piping might still be there, possibly in red, but virtually invisible because of the characteristics of the materials used in the photographic processes of the period, and how colours were represented in black/white images.

I am a little more familiar with images from the 1890s up to the end of the Great War, and so I am aware of the spectral qualities and deficiencies of orthochromatic film of that period, compared to the later panchromatic film. The earlier ortho was not sensitive to red light rays in particular, and portrayed it very dark. It makes trying to recognise medal ribbons, for example, a very difficult task.

The piping might still be there, possibly in red, but virtually invisible because of the characteristics of the materials used in the photographic processes of the period, and how colours were represented in black/white images.

I am a little more familiar with images from the 1890s up to the end of the Great War, and so I am aware of the spectral qualities and deficiencies of orthochromatic film of that period, compared to the later panchromatic film. The earlier ortho was not sensitive to red light rays in particular, and portrayed it very dark. It makes trying to recognise medal ribbons, for example, a very difficult task.
Thanks, that's quite a painful to process. But if you/we enlarge the photo at least the ghost outline of the musician shell is visible.

Back