Restricted Chatting about monuments was Board votes to remove Confederate monument from Linn Park - AL

Private Watkins

2nd Lieutenant
"Before proceeding, let me say I think I have no prejudice against the Southern people. They are just what we would be in their situation. If slavery did not now exist among them, they would not introduce it. If it did now exist amongst us, we should not instantly give it up. This I believe of the masses North and South. Doubtless there are individuals on both sides, who would not hold slaves under any circumstances; and others who would gladly introduce slavery anew, if it were out of existence. We know that some Southern men do free their slaves, go North, and become tiptop Abolitionists; while some Northern ones go South, and become most cruel slave-masters. When Southern people tell us they are no more responsible for the origin of slavery than we, I acknowledge the fact. When it is said that the institution exists, and that it is very difficult to get rid of it, in any satisfactory way, I can understand and appreciate the saying. I surely will not blame them for not doing what I should not know how to do myself." Abraham Lincoln, Aug 21, 1858

Or the owners of monuments memorializing Confederates could erect other monuments memorializing Alabamans who supported the Union. At The Little Big Horn Battlefield (formerly Custer Battlefield) the original monuments recognized U.S. personnel. Now there are installations recognizing the victors, Native Americans.

NedBaldwin

Major
The only ridiculous thing is the reactions here. When getting rid of surplus property the smart thing to do is ask if anyone wants it before disposing of it. One man's trash might be anothers treasure.
So they not only want the monument gone, they are looking for someone to pay its removal and store it? This is pretty ridiculous... And it is not a small monument:

8145508_G.jpg

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
It is typically less expensive to demolish a structure than to relocate it.
The only ridiculous thing is the reactions here. When getting rid of surplus property the smart thing to do is ask if anyone wants it before disposing of it. One man's trash might be anothers treasure.
I recall that when a Heritagist group put up a billboard honoring the Gran Wizard of the KKK near the Edmund Pettus Bridge for the 50th anniversary of the bloody march across that bridge, a lot of the heritage defenders here thought that was just great. The fact that it had the message for blacks choosing to march of "Keep the skeer on 'em" seemed endearing.

Do you not think these tactics, clearly racist to anyone without an ax to grind, have an impact on public perception of "Confederate Heritage?" Folks forget that black people can vote to remove the memorials that white people erected while denying blacks the vote.

W. Richardson

Captain
As a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and Treasurer of the Ohio Division, I can tell you we don't have money to move all the Monuments and Statutes we helped get placed. It took years to get donations to put them up. This was done in early 1900s. Costs have skyrocketed since then.

However, we don't want them destroyed. I don't know what we will do.

At present we do charitable support for real daughters who need help, scholarship funds, help maintain graves of Confederates and other veterans, have educational seminars, and maintain our headquarters in Richmond. It takes a lot from dedicated and kind ladies to do this.

Moving monuments was never thought would occur.

Once one is moved and the UDC pay for it, it will then roll down hill. More and more of them will be "voted" on to be moved with the UDC footing the bill. This is no more than the next step to the eradication of My Confederate Heritage..........

1.jpg

Respectfully,
William

W. Richardson

Captain
It is typically less expensive to demolish a structure than to relocate it.

I recall that when a Heritagist group put up a billboard honoring the Gran Wizard of the KKK near the Edmund Pettus Bridge for the 50th anniversary of the bloody march across that bridge, a lot of the heritage defenders here thought that was just great. The fact that it had the message for blacks choosing to march of "Keep the skeer on 'em" seemed endearing.

Do you not think these tactics, clearly racist to anyone without an ax to grind, have an impact on public perception of "Confederate Heritage?" Folks forget that black people can vote to remove the memorials that white people erected while denying blacks the vote.

The billboard should have never went up.................I can not and do not agree/support the KKK.........I also never surrendered the Confederate Flag to the KKK............To me it isn't how another person/group use an object, it is HOW I use it and I do not honor the Confederate Flag as racist, or hate.............Some people say the KKK hijacked the Confederate Flag, nothing can be hijacked unless we allow it to be by accepting that they did.............I don't and won't.

"Folks forget that black people can vote to remove the memorials that white people erected while denying blacks the vote."

So it is a racist attack, a vengeful attack ?

1st National Confederate Flag   1.jpg

Respectfully,
William

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
The billboard should have never went up.................I can not and do not agree/support the KKK.........I also never surrendered the Confederate Flag to the KKK............To me it isn't how another person/group use an object, it is HOW I use it and I do not honor the Confederate Flag as racist, or hate.............Some people say the KKK hijacked the Confederate Flag, nothing can be hijacked unless we allow it to be by accepting that they did.............I don't and won't.

"Folks forget that black people can vote to remove the memorials that white people erected while denying blacks the vote."

So it is a racist attack, a vengeful attack ?

View attachment 72348
Respectfully,
William
William, I have no idea why you would call it a racist attack.

W. Richardson

Captain
William, I have no idea why you would call it a racist attack.

Your comment "Folks forget that black people can vote to remove the memorials that white people erected while denying blacks the vote."

Whether you meant to state it the way you did, I don't know.........But you made it a Black & White issue. That is why I referred to it as a racist attack and racist attacks are revenge seeking or vengeful. So maybe I misunderstood your comment.

IMO............The issues at hand as to removing flags, monuments, memorials isn't out of being offended it is now crossed over to revenge minded retribution..........The call to remove the flag from government property, I and many others agree with, but that call has now been hijacked and turned into an Confederate Heritage eradication movement.

Respectfully,
William

Delhi Rangers

First Sergeant
Board votes to remove Confederate monument from Linn Park
Julie Rockett
Jul 1, 2015 12:02 PM
BIRMINGHAM, AL (WBRC) - The Birmingham Parks and Recreation Board has taken the first step to remove a Confederate monument from Linn Park.

More: http://m.myfoxal.com/myfoxal/db_368997/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=FtK5sikC

This stuff is really getting out of hand. Flags, now monuments and next it will be Confederate items in museums. My son visited the State Archives building in Montgomery last week and one of the employees told him that the governor had ordered the Confederate Flag collection (original flags) to be taken off display and put into storage. I sent the governors office an email in reference to this and they have not even replied. I was hoping to get their side to see if it was indeed true that he had ordered the flags off display. This is nothing but the eradication of history. Sad. Really sad.

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Gentlemen, may I ask what a billboard put up by an independent group answerable to no higher authority than themselves putting up a billboard has anything whatsoever to do with this monument and the move to remove it? I see no connection whatsoever.

Pat seems to be arguing because a group put up a Forrest billboard, in essence poking the black community in the eye, that this kind of response is what ought to be expected. I'm not sure that's true but if it is are you arguing that removing monuments to Confederate dead is somehow payback for perceived slights by folks who have absolutely nothing to do with the monument. I'm sorry but I find that more than a bit troubling.

W. Richardson

Captain
These monuments and that flag have been a racial issue since they were created. Pat didnt suddenly come up with it.

So your fine with removing anything that is a racial issue? You do know that runs both ways right? or are you in favor of working issues out in compromising ways, not escalating them? Or is this a "My way or the highway" only solution?

Respectfully,
William

Delhi Rangers

First Sergeant
These monuments and that flag have been a racial issue since they were created. Pat didnt suddenly come up with it.

Monuments to soldiers are not racist items. How would you feel if there was a movement to eradicate all monuments to Federal soldiers just because some say that they are offended by them? Also your comment regarding "one man's trash might be another man's treasure" was very insulting.

W. Richardson

Captain
This stuff is really getting out of hand. Flags, now monuments and next it will be Confederate items in museums. My son visited the State Archives building in Montgomery last week and one of the employees told him that the governor had ordered the Confederate Flag collection (original flags) to be taken off display and put into storage. I sent the governors office an email in reference to this and they have not even replied. I was hoping to get their side to see if it was indeed true that he had ordered the flags off display. This is nothing but the eradication of history. Sad. Really sad.

Amazing isn't it!!! It is the complete eradication of Confederate Heritage and those that support it hide behind lies. They want them sent to museums as that is their proper place they say, but yet as you found out, now even at museums we can not go and view our Confederate Heritage ! This whole thing is built on lies...........It isn't about being "offended" it is about revenge plain and simple.

Respectfully,
William

W. Richardson

Captain
Not at all. Is it that way for you? Because that's the vibe I get.

No, if you have read my posts for the last week or so you would plainly see that in many of my post I have supported compromise. Remove the any and all Confederate icons from government buildings / property except Monuments/Memorials, unless the government pays for their relocation, a relocation that agreeable to the majority on each side.

Would that not be a suitable compromise?

I am for the flag flying at any and all Confederate Monuments/Memorials even if on government property, after all isn't that where the Confederate flag should be flying? On a Confederate Memorial/Monument ? but with that said I could even work with not flying the Confederate Flag on Confederate Monuments/Memorials if that is what it takes to work a compromise...................But IMHO a compromise isn't what is wanted........Complete eradication of My Confederate Heritage built on vengeance!!!

Respectfully,
William

W. Richardson

Captain
Wait, do you mean to say you requested the removal of something that offended you . . . in a thread in which you are complaining about people requesting the removal of things that offend them?

Intentional irony?

No I have not yet...........Oh or are you saying I can't be offended ? Is that a private road for only "special" people?

Respectfully,
William