"Chased Fowling Piece"?

littlesorrel

Cadet
I encountered this reference in a book last night. context: "It had as fine a breechloading mechanism as I have ever seen and a lovely curly walnut...a fine heavy solid gun." I know what a fowling piece is....what is "chased"? Time period/location is that of the Battle of Shiloh, perhaps around Pittsburg Landing.

Has to do with the way the metal is carved or grooved, a decorative element... I think I learned that in Johnny Tremain.

From WikiAnswers:

Hand chasing. With this method, silver is moved with a small pointed tool and a small mallet. It is much like what you'd do if you used a stick to draw in the sand. Silver is not removed, but designs are drawn in the metal with the tool using a small mallet. This method is also used to produce a textured background in the design. View attachment 1451

Normally no metal is removed when chasing. a groove is cut into the metal like s shallow dovetail, silver or other metal wire is pounded into the groove expanding into the dovetail and then fileing it smooth. Like engraving there Chasing and there is Chasing, after you have seen the best most of is so so.

Normally no metal is removed when chasing. a groove is cut into the metal like s shallow dovetail, silver or other metal wire is pounded into the groove expanding into the dovetail and then fileing it smooth. Like engraving there Chasing and there is Chasing, after you have seen the best most of is so so.

Thank you, Frank! I was hoping you'd show up. I couldn't manage to find the right combination of search terms on Google and I knew you'd help us!

Thanks to all. I appreciate the help. Do you mean a silver inlay? Is this what you would consider so so, or good? Do you have an image?
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20francaise/artisans%20p%20q%20r/a%20peyret%20dubois%20gb.htm
Like fine art you must see it to really appreciate it. So much engraving features ruptured ducks, clumsy deer,lines that are and do not flow smoothly clean sharp lines. I can't tell you where to see a example,primarly high quility shotguns, old and new although not necessairly.

Just came back to me today looking at something else and remembered that chasing doesn't neccesarly havecontrasting wire in it .

Using the same prinipal you can mov metal frome one place to anouther to create aa raised body or branch or whatever demands a lot of skill and patience in a way simular to forging but done cold, you can't move major amounts of steel also used to salvage very high dollar parts in the right place.

Back