1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Charlottesville, Va allots money to African/American cemetery.

Discussion in 'Post Civil War History, The Reconstruction Period' started by Yankeedave, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

Charlottesville, Va has allocated $80,000 to save a black cemetery. Initially a contingent of ladies had the area mowed. The city then showed up and erected a sign for "The Daughter's of Zion" and their ancestors. Recently ground perpetrating radar was ran across the place. Results show more bodies than stones, and some bodies stacked. Both are common in all u.s. cemeteries. Below is the "Daughter's of Zion" Cemetery.
    10658485_G.jpg
    ZionRadar.jpg

Pat Young and CMWinkler like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. CMWinkler

CMWinkler Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Historic cemeteries deserve to be protected.

Patrick H and Pat Young like this.
  4. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

I agree. I further agree that it is common to have more burials than would be indicated by stone monuments in many, MANY cemeteries.

5. CMWinkler

CMWinkler Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Absolutely true. The black portion of the Gallatin City Cemetery has relatively few stones. We are in the process of working with the Center for Historic Preservation at Middle Tennessee State University to do a preservation plan and ground penetrating radar, etc., on the historic portion of the cemetery. Our SCV Camp is preparing to erect an informational kiosk showing all veterans of all wars in the historic section. We have veterans from the Revolution through the Cold War in the historic section.

Pat Young and Yankeedave like this.
  6. Yankeedave

Yankeedave 1st Lieutenant

As a local taxpayer i feel it is good. There may be future costs that i don't think will be a problem. I doubt those funds will be needed but anyway.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)