Charlotte Military Institute

Klaudly

Sergeant
My last Artwork: North Carolina Military Institute:
north_10.jpg

The North Carolina Military Institute in Charlotte only opened in 1859. Some alumni or professors at Gettysburg:

Alumni
-Henry Elliott Shepherd, 1st Lieutenant, Company K, 43rd North Carolina
-Benjamin Rush Smith, Captain, Company G, 6th North Carolina
-Nicholas Williams Lillington, 1st Lieutenant, Company H, 55th North Carolina
-James Gilmer Harris, Captain, Company H, 7th North Carolina, commanded regiment on July 3
-David M. Oates, Lieutenant and Adjutant, 37th North Carolina
-William E. Cameron, Adjutant, 12th Virginia

Professors
-Charles Patrick Estill, Lieutenant, Ordnance Officer, Walker's brigade
-James Henry Lane, Brigadier General

The Cadet Corps participated at the battle of Big Bethel, 15 cadets with parental permission were on the battlefield aggregated to the 1st North Carolina regiment (six months volunteers); and were assigned to defend the 'Richmond Howitzers' artillery.
They probably wore no dress uniform, but the fatigue dark blue frock coat.

Hope you doing okay. Where in Italy do you live? Prayers for your country.
All right for now thanks.
In my region the phenomenon is limited. Mainly hit in Lombardy (the Milan region).
It is important to avoid contagion, because this virus needs machines to breathe and if there are too many sick people at the same time, they are not enough!

I have often thought a book on the uniforms worn by Southern military schools would make a great book, especially those that fought in battle during the Civil War. There must have been more than two dozen Southern military schools during the Civil War. For example Texas had three military schools: Bastrop Military institute, Marshall University, and Texas Monumental and Military Institute.

For North Carolina Military Institute; Dress Uniform gray coatee with 3 rows of buttons, with black trim: gray pants with black stripe; dress cap with Engineer insignia and pompon.

I have often thought a book on the uniforms worn by Southern military schools would make a great book, especially those that fought in battle during the Civil War. There must have been more than two dozen Southern military schools during the Civil War. For example Texas had three military schools: Bastrop Military institute, Marshall University, and Texas Monumental and Military Institute.

Bill,
think that, years ago, one of my first projects was to do a meticulous research on the Confederate military schools and illustrate it with many artworks.
Unfortunately, there is only one idea left, and this cadet is the only one I made, because it is part of a study on Confederate uniforms worn at Big Bethel.

The vast majority of colleges for men were de facto military schools in the South. For instance, my ancestor Col. Pointer of Holly Springs attended the University of Miss at Oxford. In his resume, written ca 1898, he wrote that he attended a military academy for two years, from age 16. Born in 1841, he would have been 20 when the war broke out and was already enrolled in Old Co B of the 9th Miss Inf. That doesn't give him much time for going to two different schools. I forgot where I read that most Southern colleges were military, but it was something new to me. Pointer, however, is an interesting case, since he and his family put out false information that he was three years younger than his actual age. This started around the time states were granting pensions to Civil War vets, and it was imperative that the vet have no gaps in his service. I suspect that Pointer's parents kept him at home after his one year enlistment was up, just prior to the Battle of Shiloh. The conscription law was passed in April 1862, but men under 18 were exempted, and the records show many being sent home who were under age. Pointer resurfaces that summer in Holly Springs, where Joe Wheeler made him an ADC. So if Pointer was really sitting at home from late March 1862, being actually over 18 at the time, he would not have been eligible for a pension. All references to his joining Wheeler's staff that were written in family documents, such as the resume and his widow's 1909 pension claim, say he joined Wheeler just ten days after his enlistment ran out. Patently false, unless records of his extending his one year, allowing him to be at Shiloh, have disappeared. All this just to say that it's possible he attended two schools from age 16 until the war broke out, but I doubt it.

All right for now thanks.
In my region the phenomenon is limited. Mainly hit in Lombardy (the Milan region).
It is important to avoid contagion, because this virus needs machines to breathe and if there are too many sick people at the same time, they are not enough!
My son said they had run out of coffins in Northern Italy.

Back