Charlie Watts - Civil War Collector and Relic Hunter

nc native

First Sergeant
240589740_6310873965596976_2962774819817788090_n.jpg

Charlie Watts, the now late drummer for the Rolling Stones was a avid Civil War Collector and relic hunter. He would find time to tour the battlefields whenever he got the chance to come to the States and loved US Civil War history. Who would have thought that? He was once quoted as saying his Civil War Collection and his horses on his farm in England were his most important possessions.

View attachment 412316
Charlie Watts, the now late drummer for the Rolling Stones was a avid Civil War Collector and relic hunter. He would find time to tour the battlefields whenever he got the chance to come to the States and loved US Civil War history. Who would have thought that? He was once quoted as saying his Civil War Collection and his horses on his farm in England were his most important possessions.
Wow, just wow! Never would have guessed, though the pic doesn't quite look like him.

If I had his money I'd add a few Cannons to the collection. My Grandfather was a big fan of the Civil War (mainly Union) which helped lead to my interest. I figured it out after he died. That's when I was told the history he never talked about. He was a School Teacher in Ireland and joined the IRA in the Irish Civil War. When it was over and they lost he could not get his job back and probably faced arrest or worse. An Uncle paid his way to America to get him out. So he must have admired the Union that won their Civil War but he lost his and his home Country. His Son, My Father hated the Civil War for he was a big fan of the American Revolution. When I asked him why he said "it was not a good time in American. Americans killing Americans, Brother against Brother". Interesting, but it's my Mothers side that fought in the CW and Revolution.

View attachment 412316
Didn't know that and surprised to just now find out about it. Nice.

View attachment 412316
This is pretty cool. I'm with @Rebelsoul ... I wonder what got him interested to begin with. And a photo of a Rolling Stone touring an American Civil War battlefield would be fabulous to see!

What I'd like to know is what started his interest in the first place.
I haven't been able to find any information about that or what's exactly in his collection. As far as how it started, former bass player Bill Wyman loves archeology and relic hunting in general and Keith Richards collects World War II memorabilia so maybe their hobbies rubbed off on Charlie and got him interested in the Civil War. The opposite could also be true.

At first I thought this was some internet photoshop thing but I did a little checking and it's true. I had no idea. I wonder where his collection will end up.
My first thought as well .

And the image did look photoshopped.
But thanks for checking.

Watts was a very private guy.
I wonder what other things he collected.

But I guess the easy answer is ... with his money, anything he wanted to collect.

:bounce:

Bill Wyman loves archeology and relic hunting in general and Keith Richards collects World War II memorabilia
Wow.

I would have never guessed such.

But they're normal guys when off stage, except for the hard drugs, (which Charlie avoided).

While I love their music ...
I also enjoy Native American artifacts and WW II Helmets.

:smoke:

Last edited:
Keith Richards collects World War II memorabilia
I didn't know that--or about Charlie liking the American Civil War--but I did know Keith has a surprisingly large book collection (in the thousands), which he organizes by the Dewey Decimal System, and he at one point apparently contemplated being a librarian. I work in a library and own a lot of books myself, but I don't even organize my own that meticulously.

Back