CWT Presents Charles R. Knight - From Arlington to Appomattox: Robert E. Lee’s Civil War, Day by Day, 1861-1865

Added to Calendar: 06/09/21

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1622396739563.png

Wednesday, June 9, 2021, at 8:30pm EDT
CivilWarTalk Presents:
Charles R. Knight
author of
From Arlington to Appomattox:
Robert E. Lee’s Civil War, Day by Day, 1861-1865

in a Free Live Video Presentation

Lost in all of the military histories of the war, and even in most of the Lee biographies, is what the general was doing when he was out of history’s “public” eye. We know Lee rode out to meet the survivors of Pickett’s Charge and accept blame for the defeat, that he tried to lead the Texas Brigade in a counterattack to save the day at the Wilderness, and took a tearful ride from Wilmer McLean’s house at Appomattox. But what of the other days? Where was Lee and what was he doing when the spotlight of history failed to illuminate him? Based on hundreds of first-person accounts, From Arlington to Appomattox: Robert E. Lee’s Civil War, Day by Day, 1861-1865 recreates, as far as such a thing is now possible, a Lee-centric study of what the man experienced on a daily basis.

Charles Knight is a native of Richmond, Virginia, where he developed a love of history at an early age. He has worked at museums and historic sites for more than two decades and has given historical presentations to audiences across the country. Charlie, the author of "Valley Thunder: The Battle of New Market and the Opening of the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, May 1864" (2010), is currently at work on a biography of Confederate general William Mahone. He resides with his wife and children in North Carolina.

REGISTER TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT
Seating is limited. You don't have to be a member of CivilWarTalk to attend.
Don't forget to mark the date on your calendar!

Last edited:
I tried to login earlier this evening. I thought today was Wednesday. :D

I'm glad it's not Wednesday or else I would have missed it. Tomorrow night!

If you havent already registered, it's not too late. Plan to join us tomorrow night when our guest will be Charles R. Knight on From Arlington to Appomattox: Robert E. Lee’s Civil War, Day by Day, 1861-1865 . We will be among the very first to hear about Mr. Knight's brand new, just released book!
REGISTER

Join us about an hour from NOW! Our guest is Charles R. Knight on From Arlington to Appomattox: Robert E. Lee’s Civil War, Day by Day, 1861-1865 . We will be among the very first to hear about Mr. Knight's brand new book just released by Savas Beatie.
REGISTER

If you missed Mr. Knight's informative presentation, it was fantastic! We all enjoyed it very much. Mr. Knight has a very nice presentation style and his slide deck moved along nicely with his narrative, resulting in an engaging program.

As promised, here is the content from the chat log:
08:43 PM Bruno P. - Connelly's "Marble Man" is a sharp criticism of Lee.

08:48 PM Shane R. - charlie I'm working on putting a book together on lee's health issues prior to Gettysburg and his decision making and am having trouble finding health information. Is there any good sources u could give that might help?

08:59 PM @Rick Featherston - What is an Aide de Camp? (Charles Marshall - REL's aide.)

09:03 PM Richard S. - Having read these different biographies by his military staff, would you say they are different on their viewpoints enough to be questionable as to their accuracy; or like history, it's in the hands of the writer? or they are valuable just for that reason. So in YOUR final analysis, which biography is the most accurate.

09:04 PM @gentlemanrob - Did Brig. General Rev. William N. Pendleton have anything in his papers that can be used on Lee?

09:33 PM @NH Civil War Gal - Was Lee ever frustrated with Davis and how he conducted the war?

09:35 PM @gentlemanrob - Was Dr. Bemiss from Virginia?

09:36 PM @NH Civil War Gal - I thought I read somewhere that Lee complained that there was too much socializing in Richmond AND the there were too many Lees doing it and on the invitations socially and he wanted it to stop.

09:38 PM Cindy C. - I have heard that some suspicioned that Gen Lee suffered a stroke sometime during Gettysburg-in addition to the earlier probable heart attack. What do you think?

09:46 PM Larry DeM. - Do you have anything about Lee’s early aide, George Deas? Deas was married to Mary Garland, sister to Longstreet’s first wife. He is mentioned in Freeman’s books.

09:52 PM Richard S. - excellent presenter. Mr Knight, you have a pleasant voice very conducive to listen to and so is your erudition on Lee.

09:53 PM Jonathan V. - Well done Charles, looking forward to reading the book.

09:53 PM @NFB22 - Your initial comments regarding the Battle of Drewry's Bluff, how much did Lee and/or Davis have to say about that engagement? As a Marine I have a lot of interest since both US and CS Marines were engaged in that action.

09:53 PM @gentlemanrob - Great Presentation

09:54 PM @NH Civil War Gal - When ordering Mr. Knight's book, From Arlington to Appomattox: Robert E. Lee's Civil War, Day by Day, 1861-1865 use this link, savasbeatie.com/?ref-CivilWarTalk

09:54 PM @gentlemanrob - Dr. Welsh I believe is the author of that book

09:55 PM @NH Civil War Gal - You can also order from savasbeattie Mr. Knight's previous book, Valley Thunder: The Battle of New Market and the Opening of the Shenandoah Valley Campaign, May 1864, published by Savas Beatie in 2010. Use the link savasbeatie.com/?ref=CivilWarTalk to order.

09:56 PM Cindy C. - Wonderful presentation....Thank you for spending time with us tonight!

09:56 PM kathleen S. - Great presentation thank you.

09:59 PM @NH Civil War Gal - To prepare for upcoming programs, use the link savasbeatie.com/?ref=CivilWarTalk to order LTC Harold M. Knudsen's The Confederacy's Most Modern General: James Longstreet and the American Civil War and Adolfo Ovies' The Boy Generals: George Custer, Wesley Merritt, and the Cavalry of the Army of the Potomac.

Don't forget, our NEXT CivilWarTalk Show will be SATURDAY June 12 at 7:30 pm EDT for a redo with LTC Harold M Knudsen on James Longstreet. We had severe storms the last time LTC Knudsen was on and Zoom went down.

10:06 PM Jonathan V. - Charles, give us a preliminary release date for the book on Gen. Mahone.

10:06 PM Cindy C. - Decision making was affected, not motor skills

10:07 PM @gentlemanrob - Do you plan to get into General Mahone's political career in your book?

10:08 PM Mike L. - Thank you for a great program.

10:11 PM Sue Anne B. - I just ordered the book!

10:12 PM @NH Civil War Gal - Thank you for doing that! Please use the link savasbeatie.com/?Ref=CivilWarTalk to order.

10:13 PM @gentlemanrob - Thank you Mr. Knight!

10:15 PM Sue Anne B. - I hope Mr. Knight can do Venable's papers sometime!

10:18 PM Johnathan V. - Thanks again

10:20 PM Sue Anne B. - You are correct, @NH Civil War Gal !

10:27 PM Sue Anne B. - Balls's Bluff was at Leesburg.

10:34 PM @gentlemanrob - I have a question for Mr. Knight if he has time is there anything on Lee in Rev. William Nelson Pendleton papers

10:39 PM @gentlemanrob - I have a profile I have wrote on Washington but it's not on Civilwartalk. I am actually writing a book myself I haven't even talked about on civilwartalk

Back