Charles Frazier's "Thirteen Moons"

CBar

Cadet
I enjoyed Frazier's Cold Mountain and am very much looking forward to reading Thirteen Moons. I was able to learn something about Thomas' Legion at this site: http://cherokeehistory.com/thomasle.html. Maybe another CW movie could come out of the new novel?

Hot News for 'Cold Mountain' Fans
In an EW.com exclusive, Random House announces the publication date for ''Thirteen Moons,'' Charles Frazier's follow-up to the international best-seller ''Cold Mountain''
by Jay Woodruff

It's been almost 10 years since first-time novelist Charles Frazier published an epic love story set in the Civil War South. Cold Mountain became an international best-seller on its way to winning a National Book Award for Fiction in 1997. Anthony Minghella's 2003 big-screen adaptation starred Jude Law and Nicole Kidman, earning Renée Zellweger an Oscar. Frazier's debut novel was such a phenomenon that the author was able to negotiate an $8 million advance from Random House off a one-page outline for his second novel.

Now Random House is announcing that Frazier's Cold Mountain follow-up, Thirteen Moons, will be published on Oct. 3. According to a statement released exclusively to EW.com, the new book is ''the epic story of one man's remarkable journey through life, set in nineteenth-century America.'' It has previously been reported that the novel is based on the true story of Col. William H. Thomas, a white man who was adopted into the Cherokee culture and fought for the South during the Civil War.

The next Random House catalog, due to ship April 28, includes the following description of the book:

''At the age of twelve, under the Wind moon, Will is given a horse, a key, and a map, and sent alone into the Indian Nation to run a trading post as a bound boy. It is during this time that he grows into a man, learning, as he does, of the raw power it takes to create a life, to find a home. In a card game with a white Indian named Featherstone, Will wins — for a brief moment — a mysterious girl named Claire, and his passion and desire for her spans this novel. As Will's destiny intertwines with the fate of the Cherokee Indians — including a Cherokee Chief named Bear — he learns how to fight and survive in the face of both nature and men, and eventually, under the Corn Tassel Moon, Will begins the fight against Washington City to preserve the Cherokee's homeland and culture. And, he will come to know the truth behind his belief that 'only desire trumps time.' Brillianty imagined by a master of American fiction, THIRTEEN MOONS is a stunning novel about a man's passion for a woman, and how loss, longing, and love can shape a man's destiny over the many moons of a life.''

(Posted:04/18/06)

By that description, not for me.

Appears to be 'chick lit', oriented to into those 'romantic' sorts.

I'd rather that author went further into the trenches of Petersburg and given us something of that subject.

Back